Confused with my .243

DaveK

I'm loading my .243 Parker Hale Pro Stalker with 44gn Viht 160 and 75gn v-max. At 100 yards it shoots consistent 1" high sub 1" groups.

For some reason if I take it out to 150 yards it gets a bit erratic and can shoot low right down to 2" low. I'd have thought that 1" high at 100 should be just about on at 150.

Any thoughts?

Dave

Hi Dave,

How long have you had this problem for, has it just started during your last target session. Where is you range, are you prone in a field, off a bench or at a pucker range. Only thing i can think of: if your shooting prone in a field, when your shooting 100yds you have a clear line of sight to your target. Then you back off another 50yds you don't, maybe your bullet path is clipping the odd blade of grass which is causing you erratic groups. Can't think of anything else until you give us some more info on how long its been occurring, how you shoot and where.

Hope this help or gives you a bit more food for thought.

Don't despair, vast amount of lads with knowledge on this site. I'm sure someone will have the answer.

Jay.

Thanks Jay.

I've been reloading for a good few years but this one is beating me.

Originally I was able to zero with the 75gn and have the 85gn and factory loads (privi) not too far off.

But

Being a typical shooter it wasn't good enough and I tried another scope (which was not as good as mine).

Since replacing my original scope (and putting the original one back on the rifle) I've started with the zeroing problems. Being a nobber I should have left it when it worked. :blink:

The scope is solid in the mounts. At 100 it is 1" high with 75gn v-max so that's not an issue. It's only when I take it up to 150 that the problems start and I'm concerned with not being confident of a clean shot on a fox or deer (although I wouldn't use 75 grainers on a deer)

Dave,

You got me beat, the fact that it shoots and holds a group at 100yds doesn't point towards your kit or your loads in my mind. Can only think its something down at the range, line of sight or wind. Something is different on your 100yd compared to your 150yd range.

Hope you get it figured out, i'm interested to know whats happening myself now.

Jay.

Thanks gents.

jay, it's not the range. I've zeroed in different fields

Andrew ground is predominantly level but I know where you're coming from

Eldon, will do but it may be a while before I'm up shooting.

Just a thought, I might weigh my remaining v-max heads. Might be a bad batch.

Just for discussions sake...

Barrel length...???

Rifling twist ????

75gr sounds a touch light for a .243...but the rifling twist will be a better

judge of what ya should be using...and what speed.

There might be a chance your rifle dont like 75gr vax at longer distances then 100yrds.

And that also sounds like a big drop for only a 50 rd distance.

Dirty Mod???

308Panther

Barrel length 20"

Twist rate 1:10.

T8 mod

Shouldn't she still be rising from 100 to 150.

Are you in Australia? :lol:

edi

I was thinking the same edi, 1'' high at 100yds with this round without looking it up would probably be a 200yd zero? :lol:

I was thinking the same edi, 1'' high at 100yds with this round without looking it up would probably be a 200yd zero? :lol:

That's what I thought which is why I'm confused.

Guest varmartin

When you shoot at 100 yards what scope mag do you use ??

Also do you change the scope mag for different ranges ??

Quick load predicts 2795fps...is 44 grains a light load ( my BR pushes 75 vmax at 3250fps with 33.5 grains R15 )

Do you get pressure signs ?

47.5grains of V160 is near max load in QL

What velocity do you get ??

`Load from a disc` predicts its a HOT load and at max !!!

ODD THING !!

Post edited to avoid confusion :lol: :lol:

When you shoot at 100 yards what scope mag do you use ??

6x mag

Also do you change the scope mag for different ranges ??

kept it at 6 for 150 yds

Quick load predicts 2795fps...is 44 grains a light load ( my BR pushes 75 vmax at 3250fps with 33.5 grains R15 )

Do you get pressure signs ?

No pressure signs

47.5grains of V160 is near max load in QL

Am going to give 46gn a go

What velocity do you get ??

No idea

`Load from a disc` predicts its a HOT load and at max !!!

ODD THING !!

Agreed, even the latest Viht manual has increased the loads from the last version I had

Post edited to avoid confusion :o:P

Streeker59 That was on my list to try but I'll gove the 46gn idea a go first and may just load up some viht 140 to see if theres a difference.

Thanks guys.

Guest varmartin
"Ockham's Razor" gentlemen. The prob started after the scope was removed and replaced. Try another scope and see if you still have the unusual drop at 150 yds.... :o

How does the scope know what range your shooting at ???

How does the scope know what range your shooting at ???

It doesn't but it seems kinda odd that Dave had no prob till he swopped scopes around.. As for the load. I would have thought that N160 was a tad slow for a light bullet and short barrel...? Having said that, everything was fine till he swopped out scopes... :o

Guest varmartin

My thoughts too mate, there are better powders out there for light bullets in a .243.

DaveK will get to the bottom of it soon enough....or with our weird wisdom get totally confused and buy an airgun :o

Dave,

if you need the velocity I can get hold of a cronograph.

You know me I use to live near you.

Paul

Spot on Dave ;)

How you doing.

Give us a ring and we can get out together.

So what was the answer to this problem then?

Spot on Dave ;)

How you doing.

Give us a ring and we can get out together.

So what was the answer to this problem then?

Changed the powder.

I've lost everything electronic a while ago both on the phone and PC (I'm not the best when it comes to elecronical stuff). You'll have to PM me your number.

Just loaded some 95gn SST's with 44gn N-160. I might be back ;) ;)

Archived