integral brake

i am trying to keep the weight of the rifle down ,so i need a profile of the barrel to work with weight of rifle and components and it needs a brake fitted and i want all smooth flowing lines and not something stuck on the end.

That's not a problem - a brake doesn't need to be greater than the barrel diameter but, with a small diameter barrel, it might be difficult to have the Vais-style longitudinal holes.

Well, it's a matter of taking your barrel diameter, subtracting the bore diameter plus 20 thou. then asking yourself if longitudinal holes of any decent diameter could be drilled. If not, you would have to increase the diameter of the brake.

Let's get it in proportion though - in front of me, I have two brakes, one is a genuine Vais off my 7mmWSM benchgun - it's 53mm long and 29mm in diameter - it weighs 4.25ounces.

The other is a flush-fitting one off a 6.5 stalking rifle. It's a pepper-pot style brake 19mm in diameter and 53mm long and weighs 1.75 ounces.

We are looking at a difference of 2.5 ounces - my car keys weigh more than that!

If I'm building a 10.5lb benchgun, 2.5 ounces might as well be a ton but on a 300 RUM! What's the problem?

Archived