243AI finaly fired

Picked up the new toy on tuesday after god knows how long since I set the ball rolling on my custom built 243AI

Neil AKA dasherman has done a fantastic jopb of screwing all the bits & bobs together to make a rifle that should last me many years!(the time isue was nothing to do with neil by the way!I Just seemed to have a mare with incorect parts!)

the quality of the screwcutting & bedding is unreal!

loaded up 15rds to check the case would blow out to AI flavor ok & off to a little farm jsut up the road from me!

loaded up

5x 68g bergers

5x80g bergers

5x nosler 70g BT with VIT150 & cci BR primers

I thought even tho its a match barrel id do the shoot clean/shoot clean thing anyhows!

anyway

Quick boresight & i was a couple of inches left of the dot which was bloody close as normally im lucky to hit the paperSo a result from the first shot really

Then the shoot & cleaning started!

I fired 3 more 80g bergers & they all were touching !!!popped a 68g berger in & still touching!

started cleaning every other shot & fired 4x 68g bergers into a silly little hole popped the last 80 g in & i tell u it wasent a millon miles away!(bottom right group!)

Basicaly the worst group is like 3/8 of an inch & thats whilst fireforming tp AI & cleaning every few mins !

Plus differnt weight bullets!

Fairly happy with the shillen barrel i can tell u!

anyway a picture paints a thousand words

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b156/Andykat/CIMG2290.jpg

(noslers top 68g bergers & onex 80g lower right)

excuse the cow poo as the buggers knocked my box over & were hanging around like a rash around the truck!Kept havin to cahse em off!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b156/Andykat/CIMG2286.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b156/Andykat/CIMG2288.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b156/Andykat/CIMG2289.jpg

Rifle is a 243AI

shillen 1-12 barrel invisable thread protector

lawton action

A5 Mcmillan piller bedded

Jewle trigger

& looks like a millon other custom builds out there BUT its mine

Its all been media blasted a satin non glare finnish wich looks the dogs %########$

Ill have to say again Dasherman dose a FANTASTIC job at really sensible money!

THANKS VERY MUCH MATE(bet ur glad its finished)

It has a Preditor 8 compact on it which i was a little dubious about as i know Baz has had a few probs with them but ill have to say for the size & the fact that its got the wrong baffels(30cal at the mo untill next week)

It really does work well & its micro small compaired withthe 15"T12 pes i had last!

It may not be quite as good as others but its smaller/lighter/cheaper dosent wake the dead & i dont need ear plugs so thats good enough for me!

Anny way im chuffed & gona try & blood it later!

cheers Andy

Andy

looks like an excellent built the groups show that its going to be a shooter.

Once you get the cases fireformed, it will only get better (mine did)

Keep us posted on the progress please - PS love the marbling on the A5

Andy

looks like an excellent built the groups show that its going to be a shooter.

Once you get the cases fireformed, it will only get better (mine did)

Keep us posted on the progress please - PS love the marbling on the A5

cheers mate im really stoked & have just loaded up 10 noslers as im out foxing tonight!:-)

I plan on doing some bunny plinking in the next few days & then stoke up the cool looking cases im ending up with!;-)

I can belive it shoots so good whilst forming:-)

Andy

Guest northernchris

Nice one Andy :lol: What sort of speed are you looking for from the 68gr Bergers??? They do make plenty of a hole on charlie :wacko:

Nice one Andy :) What sort of speed are you looking for from the 68gr Bergers??? They do make plenty of a hole on charlie :)

Hi Chris

when its in full fat flavor im wantin around the 3900ish mark!

Ill plink a few bunnys & see wht they go like in the new week!

Andy

Lovely looking piece of kit. Looking at the stock options I wouldn't have picked your colours yet built up I think it looks great.

Nice groups, keep us posted as I am thinking of going to 243 AI in the future. :)

One question, how much does it weigh?

Sweet looking rifle i remember the wait for my ackley but good things come to those that wait that would look so good in the cabinet with mine,hope you have loads of fun with it mate go blast them rabbits & fox's

Lovely looking piece of kit. Looking at the stock options I wouldn't have picked your colours yet built up I think it looks great.

Nice groups, keep us posted as I am thinking of going to 243 AI in the future. :o

One question, how much does it weigh?

15lb with the mod & bipod so not to bad!

Andy

Ok

went out & had a play at shooting some longish range bunnys yesterday hoping to fire form a further 25 rounds!

had a guess at some fiqs & punched em into xball on my phone & generated a drop chart!

i really wanted to see how my cold clean barrel shot was goint to work & picked a nice 336yd bunny to try out!

BANG splat happy days!

I then spent plenty of time sending bullets over the heads of another half a dozen bunnys & kept dialing less & less MOA compaired to wht exball told me!

turns out witht it a 1" high @100 its smack on the money at 300yds which dosent really make sence!

I "guessed around the 3400 mark for the FPS but when i get a happy with load in AI flavor ill get it measured so i know for sure!

had another couple of bunnys & smacked a magpie!

closes shot would have been 310yds

ill try to get a picky up later!

Oh where can u get those bags that turn into shooting matts?

cheers ANdy

What load are you running Andy???

Are you "dialling" from the 1" high out to the 300 yard mark?????

hi chris

whilst forming mate i have been using 42g of VIT150 2tho of the lands

not even that hot for a 243load acording to there website!

I was dialing & putting the round strait over the top :-(

Andy

Guest northernchris

What software are you running??? no real fps figures??? Normal way is to zero bang on @ say 100yrds or 200yrds then dial from there on for whatever range you are aiming a hit,or am i reading your post wrong.

To check it i would re zero @ 100 then dial as you where doing,i dout then you will be missing over the top.

fired a few fireformed cases the yesterday morning & was pleased to see it printing silly little groups in a bluster wind so god knows what its going to be like when i can grab a still day!:-)

I have been getting a little extractor plunger hole mark on a couple of the 10rnds i fired but the primers look fine??

wht u guys think?to much powder:-)

runing 45.5g of VV150

cheers Andy

Guest varmartin

That`s way over the top skanny. ;)

With a 1-12 twist you may get away with an 87 Vmax ( 1-11 is optimal ), try a few, back off the load a bit and you may work up a good load before you burn the tube out ;)

If not the 75 Vmax will be awesome.

That`s way over the top skanny. :excl:

With a 1-12 twist you may get away with an 87 Vmax ( 1-11 is optimal ), try a few, back off the load a bit and you may work up a good load before you burn the tube out :blush:

If not the 75 Vmax will be awesome.

Its mad but they list 45.5 as a max load for a standered 243 so u would think u would be fine with a AI

Ill back it of a little & see if the problem goes away!

they shoot spot on tho:-)

also a little bit disapointed in the terminal effect of the 243ai compaired to the 22-250 with Amax's(52g)

70g noslers just dont compair:-(

I have some 75g Vmaxs on order & was thinking about trying the 87g ones as my throte is a lot longer then i thought it would be!

so far this gun shoots everything ive tried so u never know:-)

cheers Andy

out with the Ai again this eve & after a scope change & a bit of faffing around had a nice sub 1/4 group & thought thats on the money again!but this time at 100yds:-)

Few shoots over the chrono & exball tweaked to suit resulted in 4 consective bunnys at 384-415 yds:-)

im a bit down on velocity compaired to the gun that i share the same spec reamer with but im using less powder now & im a fair bit off the lands now compaired to funkys Ai!(3710 with bergers & 3634 with 70g noslers)

it seems to shoot tiny bug holes with everything ive tried so far:-)

cheers Andy

Archived