"all gun owners should kill themselves"

hunter87

Its been on a few other forums, a fair few have contacted the council asking for him to be reprimanded or to lose his job

I can understand why, the comparisons used between a gun owner and a car driver are crazy, it really makes me wonder if a mans reasoning is such should he really be in a position to make any major decisions that effect others. There is also the sense of common decency, a man lost his life and that in itself needs an element of empathy which is sadly lacking, he should know better.

Ive no issues with people being anti-shooting or anti-killing, everyone has a right to an opinion by the way people express these opinions can tell a lot about the person overall. I would very much doubt he is the best material a council. The again sadly the world is full of people doing jobs in government that they are not suitable for. :(

Reply from the Council, taken from another forum.

"Having due regard to the circumstances of the case, I do not believe that the complaints demonstrate a breach of the code because there is no evidence or indication that Tommy Woodward was acting in his capacity as a Councillor when he made his comments. Consequently I am of the view that no further action can be taken on the complaint in relation to a breach of the Members’ Code of Conduct whatever one might think of his remarks.

Notwithstanding the legal position on the Member’s Code of Conduct issue, I can advise you that the Full Council meeting of Ryedale District Council on Thursday 18 December 2014 considered and passed a censure motion against Councillor Tommy Woodward.

The Censure Motion was moved by Councillor Linda Cowling, the Leader of Ryedale District Council and seconded by Councillor Wainwright the leader of the Independent Group.

You are advised that a censure motion is the most serious sanction that a local authority can take against a Councillor for misconduct because of the current state of the law.

The terms of the censure motion were as follows :

Resolved

(i) That Council hereby censures Councillor Tommy Woodward for his unacceptable behaviour in relation to the comments he made about the recent death of an individual; and
(ii) That Council extends sincere sympathies to the family and friends of the deceased.
Recorded Vote
For
Councillors Acomb, Paul Andrews, Arnold, Bailey, Mrs Cowling, Cussons, Mrs Frank, Mrs Goodrick, Hawkins, Hicks, Hope, Mrs Hopkinson, Ives, Keal, Legard, Maud, Raper, Wainwright and Windress.

Against
None.

Abstentions
Councillors Joy Andrews, Mrs Burr, Clark, Richardson and Woodward."

It's possible that in a civilised and democratic society,or Lancashire,that censure might lead to a councillor not being re-elected,if his/her views were deemed unacceptable. He/she would have some opportunity to be clear what they meant,and/or apologise,even if they seemed unable to do so on local radio,at the time.

That might be considered a fair and just outcome,by the people most likely to be affected by what the said councillor might do:even if it lacks something of wilder dramatic,and unlawful suggestions,it is doable.

gbal

Archived