New Bench

AndyCM

Hi Guys,

I used a very useful link (on here I believe) - larry willis - to build a new bench.

I had a few reasons to go out today for a test.

Dsc1 in two weeks time, so test of prone, sitting standing shots - worth a few rounds, New loads to test (my first lapua cases, I like 'em) + the new bench to try. Until today it had not had a rifle on it.

Arrive at "range" - corner of an undulating field, and put out target at 100 yards, set up bench, uncase rifle, have a look through the bins - FOX ! - I have been there 10 minutes maximum. Load up, and keep watching, it is over the boundary, about 220 yards away.

Use a hand squeek, nothing. Use a brass fox whistle, it comes running, fortunately straight through the hedge. 200 yards it stops to have a good look, cross hairs to top of chest, he's down.

Test new rounds & dsc1 positions - another fox appears, squeek, nothing, hand squeek, mp3 squeeks, nothing a wily old one.

A good test of bench, rounds & looking forward to dsc1 (practice sitting shots).

Set up

DSC00096-1.jpg

That's where the fox appeared - top corner (first seen over boundary)

DSC00099-1.jpg

DSC00100-1.jpg

varmint's view - skylined !

DSC00101-1.jpg

100 yards

DSC00102.jpg

sitting at 70 yards - practice needed here

DSC00103.jpg

standing with sticks at 45 yards

DSC00104.jpg

young'un - saw 3 more just like this driving home

DSC00105.jpg

must use Colgate - that's a clean set of nashers

DSC00106.jpg

looks big as snails go

DSC00107.jpg

- ok, back to dsc studying for me

Cheers

AndyCM

Hi Andy,

seems you had a good day out! It would be useful if you could highlight the link for the bench again, as it does look good and with the summer approaching I could be coaxed to do some DIY :lol:

best wishes,

Finman

Hi Andy,

seems you had a good day out! It would be useful if you could highlight the link for the bench again, as it does look good and with the summer approaching I could be coaxed to do some DIY :blink:

best wishes,

Finman

Hi Finman,

try www.larrywillis.com

Reloading and shooting tech tips

portable shooting bench

These guys came in handy for fittings - www.interclamp.com

AndyCM

Hi Finman,

try www.larrywillis.com

Relossing and shooting tech tips

portable shooting bench

These guys came in handy for fittings - www.interclamp.com

AndyCM

Andy,

you are a gentleman sir, thank you very much. Very informative site,

best wishes,

Finman

I would say by the looks of those targets the dsc 1 is in the bag shooting wise,that is indeed a fine looking bench, and a fox in the bag as a bonus cant be bad,the best of luck on the dsc 1

I went back out today for round 2 at the same spot & the hmr wanted a try out on the bench :blink:

Sunny afternoon & bunnys, yep that sounds like a good mix for the hmr to come out.

So here goes, little and medium

IMG_0178.jpg

Hmr first, and dialed in for the range - no wind, great

IMG_0180.jpg

there is a bunny in the cross hairs - you'll have to take my word for it - that scope is set at 14x

IMG_0181.jpg

Ok, we have bagged a few bunny's and the rest have scarpered, so time to swap guns a wait for fox

IMG_0189.jpg

more waiting, it was a nice sunset

IMG_0193.jpg

ok, let's help things along, chalk patch baited (I'll be able to see that until last light) no lamping today - that scope is 8x

IMG_0197.jpg

Close up of the chalk patch - the plan worked !

IMG_0199.jpg

he came out right on dark, another 5-10 mins and a shot would have been doubtful

IMG_0200.jpg

Happy hunting guys

AndyCM

Andy,where did you get the legs mate? ....................Martin.

Hi Martin,

The legs are galvanised steel tube - scaffold type stuff (from www.interclamp.com) they do a range of sizes. Mine are 1.5 inch. They mate to some 0-11' fittings, so the legs can be vertical or offset at 11 degrees which aids stability.

I had some stove matt black paint in the garage ( that sprays straight on to stainless steel chimneys) - that worked a treat, no priming or messing just sprayed on to the tubing.

Cheers

AndyCM

Guest martin

Thanks for that Andy,but,do you think you could post some close up pics of the legs and fittings please mate.......and,what fitting was it you used,did it have a code number? Martin.

Thanks for that Andy,but,do you think you could post some close up pics of the legs and fittings please mate.......and,what fitting was it you used,did it have a code number? Martin.

Ok Martin, as you seem so keen here are the details:

tubes, the brackets might come in handy for hanging something on, a lamping battery if I do a stakeout or my sandwiches ;)

DSC00104-1.jpg

I decided to fit end caps to the tubing, not an issue at this time of year, but if I use in muddy / sandy conditions they will stop the bench shrinking and the legs being all heavy at the end of the day

DSC00102-1.jpg

DSC00100-2.jpg

DSC00101-2.jpg

DSC00105-1.jpg

tube fitted - designed with plenty of slop to give option on secured angle

DSC00106-1.jpg

nip up with a hex key and ready to take a rifle

DSC00107-1.jpg

All these fitting are D48 - the D48 is the 1.5 inch size (there are a fair selection of sizes) - this bench is unlikely to blow over in the wind :lol:

152 = the 0-11' brackets (with the two hex screws)

140 = brackets on legs

333 = end caps, tight enough just to be whacked on

all arrived galvanised a given a lick of matt black

the leg tubes are 800mm and may be a little long, I am keeping that under review, they may get a little snip st some point

Good luck with the build.

AndyCM

Archived