I got a new tikka 223 with a 1:10 twist…..

It's a Tikka. In the US, the 1-12" are scarce but I bought a stainless 1-10" last spring. It's a real shooter using H322 and 50 grain V-Max if you can call head shooting prairiedogs at 350 yards accurate!

I didn't see the 1-10" in the catalog this year and assumed they'd dropped it. ~Andrew

Hi

Do you in the us get different rifles to the uk?

I ask because iv been through the tikka site and they only list either 1-12 or 1-8.

What model is your tikka?

Rick

Hi Rick,

It's a T-3 Lite. I bought a 1-8" T3 Lite when i couldn't find a 1-12". Evidently they aren't offered in the US anymore. The following year I was in a shop in the the City and a buddy just happened to pick up a .223 and it was a 1-10" twist. Neither of us was, at the time, aware that this twist was even available. I bought it.~Andrew

Hi Rick,

It's a T-3 Lite. I bought a 1-8" T3 Lite when i couldn't find a 1-12". Evidently they aren't offered in the US anymore. The following year I was in a shop in the the City and a buddy just happened to pick up a .223 and it was a 1-10" twist. Neither of us was, at the time, aware that this twist was even available. I bought it.~Andrew

Hi Andrew

1-12 is pretty much what we get over here as standard! tikka is available in both 1-12 & 1-8 but the other manufacturers are 1-12!

Iv had 2 howa 1500 and they were both 1-12 but I would have preferred to have had a faster twist to use the heavier bullets, a 1-10 would be a good mix of both if i could get one :)

How does yours shoot? the best group I had when I was load testing with my 1-12 was .060" at 50m

Rick

Looking for load data to shoot 50 & 69 gr.bullets. thanks

I achieved a .4" group using 4 rounds at 100 yards with a .224, 50 grain V-Max bullet.

The set-up was as follows - Lapua brass, Federal GM205 primers, 25.6 grains of Vihtavuori N133. ( The max load according to my Lee 2nd Edition is 25.9 grains) The completed round length to Ogive was 1.866", 10 thou from the lands on MY rifle.

My Tikka T3 is a 1 in 8, so not sure if yours or anyone else's rifle would be the same?

I'm relatively new to reloading, so check your own pressure signs and all other "problem" signs of load/powder/bullet combinations.

Good luck!

Jamie

Hi Andrew

1-12 is pretty much what we get over here as standard! tikka is available in both 1-12 & 1-8 but the other manufacturers are 1-12!

Iv had 2 howa 1500 and they were both 1-12 but I would have preferred to have had a faster twist to use the heavier bullets, a 1-10 would be a good mix of both if i could get one :)

How does yours shoot? the best group I had when I was load testing with my 1-12 was .060" at 50m

Rick

It's delivered bug-hole groups at 100M. Probably in the .2 and .3 region?? LIke I said, the most impressive shooting I've seen done with it was by my my friend visiting last summer. He routinely killed prairiedogs at 300+ yards. (Think a 20 ounce bottle stood in the grass) Fifty grain VM and H-322.~Andrew.

25.5 h benchmark virtually any brass 2250 oal for the 50g ballistic tips 2245 for the smk 52,53 s cci standard primers in the 1-9 twist cz there very jump tolerant, with the 69g bullets I use h h4895 or varget 24-25g range, depending on the brass, ive had the best results with the bullet just staring to compress the powder 2260 oal for the smks 2265 for lapuas again cci primers

Archived