Loose primer pockets

Good morning all.

I have started suffering from primers coming out when fired in my 7mm Shehane.

The cases are 6.5-284 Lapua.

No there not over pressure.

The thing is my mate yesterday at Bisley had the same on a .308 again no where near over pressure.

These cases are all quite new Lapua ones.

Has anybody else had any issues with this make of case.

I have used Lapua for many years and only recently had issues with them.

Are they resting on there laurals and not keeping up the high spec that we are used to.

Regards all

V

In my experience that's strange for Lapua cases. I run my .284 Win with resized Lapua 6.5x284 cases and have found the primer pockets very tight especially with Federal GM 210M primers.

The last box had such tight primer pockets I had to revert to CCI 200's

Anything is possible,though Lapua would not sell many cases if quality fell-so 'resting' seems unlikely...

Were this batch of cases loose primer from the box,or has the looseness developed after several firings?

(Pressure signs re not fully reliable diagnostics either by their presence or absence,of course).

Anything is possible,though Lapua would not sell many cases if quality fell-so 'resting' seems unlikely...

Were this batch of cases loose primer from the box,or has the looseness developed after several firings?

(Pressure sins are not fully reliable diagnostics either by their presence or absence,of course).

Hi gbal

After fire forming, all pockets are reamed when new and my primers are federal match.

May try some different primers as stated by Brillo they are all different.

regards me

Thanks for that-I meant 'signs' not 'sins'-classic freudian slip!

Yes,primers do vary,and quite possibly their 'quality control' isn't perfect either,batch to batch.

Plus reaming-lapua might consider that a dubious improvement -but see the other post today on split necks....(I shoot 6BR and Shehane,both Lapua brass,so "interested" to see how this pans out-well I hope!)

g

Hate to say this, but the simple fact is they ARE over pressure.

Loose primer pockets are only caused by one thing - excessive pressure.

Your Shehane may not be showing obvious signs, but they are manifesting with loose pockets.

Mine does exactly the same when I push it.

Ive no pressure signs, then I get loose primers if I increase the load a little.

Ditch the brass - the loose pocket brass

Start load development again with less powder or a slower powder.

Ive experienced the same thing with 6.5x284 and 284 Shehane and changing primers won't fix anything - the primer will still be loose (unless you invest in a Case saver device)

Out of curiosity, what load are you using?

Just to add, it makes no difference between "cardboard and blue box" Lapua brass, I've lots of both.

Archived