REBARREL

Guest wireviz

Guest wireviz

my mate is thinking of changing his sako finnlight barrel in .270 for a 6.5 x 284 has any one done this and can any one foresee any problems. PS He will be shooting a 129 grn bullet any recommendations on twist rate welcome. :)

my mate is thinking of changing his sako finnlight barrel in .270 for a 6.5 x 284 has any one done this and can any one foresee any problems. PS He will be shooting a 129 grn bullet any recommendations on twist rate welcome. :)

Hi Dave

i would go for a 1 in 8 or a 1 in 8 1/2 barrel

barrel wise i would say a L/W #1300 or a pacnor #3 should replicate the barrel that is on all ready.

just make sure you - goes for a super match grade barrel. they are Worth the bit extra

ATB

Colin ;)

As previously discussed Dave, the long action 75 is ideal to be re-barrelled to 6.5x284. 129g bullets will stabilise comfortably with 1-9 / 1-8.5 twist (which will also enable your pal to shoot the longer 140g bullet if he wanted to)

By 129's is he is looking at using Hornady SST's?

Just make sure whoever you get to do the work has a reamer throated for the 129g bullet (or throats it for that bullet length) otherwise you may end up seating them too far out of the case (if he uses a 140 throated reamer for instance there is a bit of difference in the two bullet lengths)

Other than that I foresee no other problems.

Guest wireviz

[tHANKS VERY MUCH LADS IT LOOKS LIKE DASHERMAN IS DOING THE JOB AND HOPFULLY MY MATE CAN GET BACK OUT AND DO SOME KILLING WITH HIS NEW RIFLE :)

I will second dasherman, he re barrled my cooper and itsa tack driver now. All 5 shot groups.

DigitalCamera047.jpg

STP60995.jpg

(excuse the pulled high shot on this one, that 4 into virtually one hole before I cocked up, would have been well into the mid 1's)

DigitalCamera100.jpg

I have loads of targets with groups like this, used to only dream of these sort of groups.

Archived