Single shot vs repeater preferences for varminting/foxing

Frank

I've used single shot rifles for foxing for the last 20 years withour any problems, follow up shots can be taken fairly quickly if needed. That said I've recently had a new rifle built which is a repeater so on the rare occasions you need a follow up shot a round can be cycled quickly. From a safety point like Gary says you can't keep one under the bolt on a single shot.

Therefore technically safer as it's either loaded or not.........

Safer when there is no round in the chamber.

Safest when there is no rounds in the rifle.

"technically", detachable box mag enables the options,and of course repeat shot(s).

gbal

Therefore technically safer as it's either loaded or not.........

Any rifle is either loaded or not. I have certainly missed opportunities because of being too slow to get loaded. Best rifle ive used for foxing and taking quick shots is an R93, safe to carry uncocked, quick to cock, and quick to follow up without canting the rifle.

Any rifle is either loaded or not. I have certainly missed opportunities because of being too slow to get loaded. Best rifle ive used for foxing and taking quick shots is an R93, safe to carry uncocked, quick to cock, and quick to follow up without canting the rifle.

Have you fallen out of love with the R93 or do you still use one?

I seem to recall that you use mostly turnbolts now?

Not a snide comment or anything untoward meant, just a question?

Have you fallen out of love with the R93 or do you still use one?

I seem to recall that you use mostly turnbolts now?

Not a snide comment or anything untoward meant, just a question?

Toby, i dont use an r93 (at the moment), i have 3 turnbolt centrefires, 2 in 6.5x47l and one in 22-250. I use them all for foxing, the 47's with nv (either static or walking) and the 22-250 is my lamping rifle (tikka 590). I do find it a ball ache to drive and lamp with a turnbolt, i do drive with it loaded and pointing upwards out of the window (i consider that safe on the large estate i shoot over, in certain areas) but always unload when i get out to open gates or pull the rifle into the cab. If i had an r93 id have it loaded and uncocked at all times. I got rid of my r93's because i stopped guiding stalking clients for a friend (there is nothing better in that situation), but i might start doing that again and it will be hard to resist a blaser, only issue i have then is i'd need 2 barrels and scopes as i'd want a .243 for foxing but i wouldnt take unknown clients out to shoot deer with a 6mm.

Archived