New Brass

v-max

Hello alll my friend has got 100 new lapua brass in 243 & i was wondering if we need resize them at all?. Or what do you recomend they are for hunting odd paper punching but unsure as to FL-resize them for a start then try neck only once fire formed as he has a Lee deluxe set of dies.

Hello alll my friend has got 100 new lapua brass in 243 & i was wondering if we need resize them at all?. Or what do you recomend they are for hunting odd paper punching but unsure as to FL-resize them for a start then try neck only once fire formed as he has a Lee deluxe set of dies.

hi V Max

i all ways resize my brass from new, as it tends to get knocked about. if you have a FL die then use that if you only have a neck die then use that.

well thats what i do anyway

ATB

Colin :)

Cheers colin thought that even thou they were lapua cases think i will FL-size first then try neck for him & rifle & see how it goes. I have started to neck size only on my 25cal cases & they work well with ease in chamber.

All new brass requires sizing, it is only formed to a standard and is often out of shape from handling. With the 243, if you re-set the die after sizing and firing the cases, to only move the shoulder back a couple of thousanths of an inch, you can use the f/l die and effectively neck size them. Works fine and will give excellent accuracy in his rifle.

Redfox

Sorry dissagree,

There is no need to size new brass, its ready to be loaded, if the necks are severely out of shape then by all means neck size, otherwise no.

All you are doing is starting to work harden the brass prematurely, out of the thousands of new cases i have loaded over the years i have never sized a new case.

Ian.

Is it necessary to size a new case?

It may not be necessary if the mouths are not badly dented and have sufficient tension to hold a bullet well. However, for trimming, chamfering, turning necks, and flash hole deburring, a round case mouth is needed. A tapered expander in a neck-sizing die is just the tool needed to make the neck perfectly round. In short, anything you can do to make cases more uniform, right from their first firing, is an advantage.

From the manufacturers website!

Redfox

I don't resize new brass, but I do run an expander mandril through them to true up any out of round case mouths. It also uniforms the cases neck tension as I had one batch of Lapua which were very tight.

Cheers

Dave

Archived