130gr Berger vld

gaz6br

Any guys using a 130gr Berger vld in 6.5 ?? What you think to them

Cheers Gaz

Got my ticket back in 5 days with 6.5x47 on it didn't expect it so fast, got powder got primers but no bullet heads sorted yet :( won't belong till I pick up rifle :)

Any guys using a 130gr Berger vld in 6.5 ?? What you think to them

Cheers Gaz

Got my ticket back in 5 days with 6.5x47 on it didn't expect it so fast, got pder got primers but no bullet heads sorted yet :( won't belong till I pick up rifle :)

I use them in my 6.5X 284 they are very accurate and blow huge holes in deer..

Very accurate in my 260, but have had mixed results with them on Fox.

Some are dead on spot others just pencil through with no sign of hit (one I shot twice within 200yard both shots in chest/lungs, then shot its mate which dropped on spot. Went to pick it and found them both - not good in my job!)

Not sure what you getting your 47 throated for, but you might have issues with oal in magazine? I had to go to an AI mag to enable long seating and proper feeding.

VLD should work on deer, with increased body mass? Maybe annealing will help on Fox?

Shot up if you want anymore info.

Gaz if your shooting foxes with your 6.5x47 try some Nosler 100grn Ballistic tips I use them in my .260 very accurate and deadly moving at 3100 fps nothing runs away with them

Gaz if your shooting foxes with your 6.5x47 try some Nosler 100grn Ballistic tips I use them in my .260 very accurate and deadly moving at 3100 fps nothing runs away with them

I get 3070fps with the 100gn noslers from my 20" 6.5x47, shot a lot of roe and munty with them last year but moved back to the 120gn bullets after experiencing some larger deer (fallow) not falling as quickly as i would have liked, they were quite distance away and the 100gn bullets drifted more than expected and didnt hit hard enough, in quite the right place. No disaster or lost deer but seeing them running after the shot put me back on the heavier bullets. If youre only shooting deer at "textbook" distances, the 100's are a good choice, but thats not why we used 6.5x47L's, is it! Make use of the high bc, punch above its weight "super" cartridge.

The 95 vmax are good on vermin, both furry and feathered!!

I get 3070fps with the 100gn noslers from my 20" 6.5x47, shot a lot of roe and munty with them last year but moved back to the 120gn bullets after experiencing some larger deer (fallow) not falling as quickly as i would have liked, they were quite distance away and the 100gn bullets drifted more than expected and didnt hit hard enough, in quite the right place. No disaster or lost deer but seeing them running after the shot put me back on the heavier bullets. If youre only shooting deer at "textbook" distances, the 100's are a good choice, but thats not why we used 6.5x47L's, is it! Make use of the high bc, punch above its weight "super" cartridge.

The 95 vmax are good on vermin, both furry and feathered!!

Hi Gary might be the difference in real life between 6.5x47 and .260 because I am not going to right on the open forum at distances I have shot fallow deer at but I can clearly say I have had no problems with the 100grn Noslers at distance I do know the .260 from what I have read hits and carries more punch maybe that is the answer deeper penetration?

I had a conversation with Callum Ferguson (Precision Rifle Services), he who builds superb if very pricey precision sporting rifles, maybe 10 or 12 years ago. Well before 6.5X47L appeared, Callum was a great fan of .260 Rem, but throated shorter than SAAMI to suit 100/120gn Ballistic Tips and a light Partition. I had in my memory it was a 90 or 95gn Partition, but looking at a recent Nosler manual, the lightest model now shown is 100gn, so maybe that. Anyway, that set-up created a very accurate long-range fox and pest rifle / load allied to an accurate deer load that despite the lightweight bullet is capable of taking any Highland Red according to Callum.

At the time, I leant the other way using 260 in a long-action rifle throated to allow 140s seated right out to maximise velocity for target shooting. However, the 260 seems to suffer less than I'd imagined from mid-weight/heavy bullets seated deep, conversely gained less than I'd hoped from running them at 3-inch COALs.

FWIW, I can't get 130gn VLDs to shoot for toffee from my current 260 or 6.5X47L. Others get good results though, so it seems to be a barrel internal dimensions and/or freebore issue. I was disappointed though by 900 and especially 1,000 yard performance from my 6.5X47L with the 123gn Scenar in the F-Class Europeans at Bisley last month - elevations particularly. Even at 800, whilst I got 'possibles' in both matches at this distance, elevations gave me modest V-counts and you needed a 'possible' plus 9 or more Vs (in 15-round matches) to make the top ten match places!

I had a conversation with Callum Ferguson (Precision Rifle Services), he who builds superb if very pricey precision sporting rifles, maybe 10 or 12 years ago. Well before 6.5X47L appeared, Callum was a great fan of .260 Rem, but throated shorter than SAAMI to suit 100/120gn Ballistic Tips and a light Partition. I had in my memory it was a 90 or 95gn Partition, but looking at a recent Nosler manual, the lightest model now shown is 100gn, so maybe that. Anyway, that set-up created a very accurate long-range fox and pest rifle / load allied to an accurate deer load that despite the lightweight bullet is capable of taking any Highland Red according to Callum.

At the time, I leant the other way using 260 in a long-action rifle throated to allow 140s seated right out to maximise velocity for target shooting. However, the 260 seems to suffer less than I'd imagined from mid-weight/heavy bullets seated deep, conversely gained less than I'd hoped from running them at 3-inch COALs.

FWIW, I can't get 130gn VLDs to shoot for toffee from my current 260 or 6.5X47L. Others get good results though, so it seems to be a barrel internal dimensions and/or freebore issue. I was disappointed though by 900 and especially 1,000 yard performance from my 6.5X47L with the 123gn Scenar in the F-Class Europeans at Bisley last month - elevations particularly. Even at 800, whilst I got 'possibles' in both matches at this distance, elevations gave me modest V-counts and you needed a 'possible' plus 9 or more Vs (in 15-round matches) to make the top ten match places!

Hi Laurie I seat the Noslers 100grns at 2800 and you saw the results last Thursday at diggle groups where awesome if you remember they where shot out of the 26" Krieger barrel what Stuart as just fitted on my Barnard sm action

I get 3070fps with the 100gn noslers from my 20" 6.5x47, shot a lot of roe and munty with them last year but moved back to the 120gn bullets after experiencing some larger deer (fallow) not falling as quickly as i would have liked, they were quite distance away and the 100gn bullets drifted more than expected and didnt hit hard enough, in quite the right place. No disaster or lost deer but seeing them running after the shot put me back on the heavier bullets. If youre only shooting deer at "textbook" distances, the 100's are a good choice, but thats not why we used 6.5x47L's, is it! Make use of the high bc, punch above its weight "super" cartridge.The 95 vmax are good on vermin, both furry and feathered!!Hi Gary might be the difference in real life between 6.5x47 and .260 because I am not going to right on the open forum at distances I have shot fallow deer at but I can clearly say I have had no problems with the 100grn Noslers at distance I do know the .260 from what I have read hits and carries more punch maybe that is the answer deeper penetration?

Barry, i'm sure the extra 30fps of the 260 wouldn't have made any difference, i should have just got closer (or used a bigger bullet)!

100bt

1334 joules at impact

0.452 flight time

35cm drift

123 deer bullet (red tip)

1710 joules at impact

0.467 flight time

26.4cm drift

The extra 380 joules and being 9cm closer to my poa would have made me much happier that day.

Barry, i'm sure the extra 30fps of the 260 wouldn't have made any difference, i should have just got closer (or used a bigger bullet)!

100bt

1334 joules at impact

0.452 flight time

35cm drift

123 deer bullet (red tip)

1710 joules at impact

0.467 flight time

26.4cm drift

The extra 180 joules and being 9cm closer to my poa would have made me much happier that day.

Hi Gary I will have to agree with you on the figures you have presented but as I said at the beginning of my reply I am basing my results on actuall real findings and the 100grn Nosler in .260 I find to be awesome for deer including fallow and according to Callum Reds which I must admit never shot.

It is a good bullet, just checked, if i was pushing them at 3100 instead of 3070 i would have gained 28 joules, and knocked off less than 1cm drift.

Im going to buy another box! Ive got some 85gn bergers, they've got the bc of a bumble bee, must have a play with them too! The 6.5's sure do kill well with the right bullet at the right speed, we always used to rib people about there 6.5x55's, probably because they were shooting over heavy bullets too slow. Wish i'd discovered 6.5 bullets years ago.

One of the recurring issues in shooting large deer is the possible 'margin for slight error' that some cartridges afford the shooter.( for example,though a perfectly placed 243 bullet of appropriate construction is adequate,at least,an equally suitable bullet from a 280 is likely to afford a slight margin,for any slightly less than perfect shot (let's include adrenalin,unlucky bone strike-indeed any factor that works against a perfect drop.)

Many suitable cartridges are essentially 6/6 ,balistically-ie with a 200 zero,and in a 10 mph wind,bullet drop/drift will be 6" at 300y (for both-and allow a variance of about an inch-hardly decisive 'on the hill').

What does vary rather more is terminal energy at 300y:(representative figures of good loads):ft lb

243w 1200

25-06 1520

260rem 1590

7-08 1590

270w 1980

280rem 1870

7remmag 2015

308w 1835

Commercial loadings,best selected (considerable variations,some substantially lower.)

What is a little surprising is the 25-06 gaining popularity;what has it got that compensates for it's generally lower performance compared to it's well established bigger brother,the 270? More shootable,or 'just' fashionable,but with 'enough' ? Time may tell,maybe shooting has changed (how?).

It is ever likely that with equal on the hill ballistics,the larger calibers with more 'reserve' power retain some margin of advantage,if needed.

gbal

Archived