.22/250 AI

Have just read with interest post by NORTHERNCHRIS and new barrel chambered in above calibre.

What are the differences between AI and standard .22/250?

I see it has 1/8 twist rate and can stablise a heavier bullet, but how does it perform among other long range varmint calibres? Hope this aint one of them can of worms Qs :(

NELL

Guest martin
Have just read with interest post by NORTHERNCHRIS and new barrel chambered in above calibre.

What are the differences between AI and standard .22/250?

I see it has 1/8 twist rate and can stablise a heavier bullet, but how does it perform among other long range varmint calibres? Hope this aint one of them can of worms Qs :mellow:

NELL

I'm glad you asked nell cos I would like to know as well.................Martin.

Funny I was thinking recently along the same lines with 243. Is the ackley thing worth the extra effort?

I shoot a .22-250 Ackley and have been for over a year.

Mine is a Rem 700 with a 26" Border Archer barrel with a 1in12 twist, which will stabalise bullets up to around 65gns.

However mine proved to love 52gn Berger match bullets.

Extra horse power definitely, mine acheives 4030fps with the 52 Bergers and there still is more to go but that proved the most accurate. I could not get near that with the standard chambering.

As a long range varmint round it trully shines a trajectory like a laser beam out to 300yds, just point and shoot. This is a great advantage when lamping foxes a night, just pop the cross hairs on him out to 300 and pull the trigger :mellow:

Up until last weekend I had my longest shot with this rifle, which was a bunny at 505 yards.

As calibers go I rate it highly, brass forming is a breeze, just pop in a standard case pull the trigger and out pops an Ackley. If your putting on a custom barrel the Ackley format is horse power for free over the standard chambering.

DSCF0235.jpg

Like any thing in life you pays your money and takes your choice, but I would certainly go down the Ackley root again.

Cheers

Dave

Cheers Dave, nice explanation and looks like you've made my mind up when the time comes.

Should of added for those interested

DSCF0094.jpg

Shows the standard round then the fireformed case and finally the loaded Ackley round.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for the info Dave, very interesting.

Do you fireform the cases by fireing a standard .22/250 case through the ackley chamber???

How do you rate the round in conparison with the 6mmBR??

RGDS

NELL

Hi guys ,

Hope you do not mind me saying about the ackleys - My first RPA was a 243 ackley and i was running the 105 a-max at 3200fps with exellent accuracy and terminal performance!!

Here she is.......................500yds105a-maxtesting003.jpg

In my personal view it was definitely worth the bother going the ackley route!!!! :mellow::lol:

All the best..................

RAY.................................. :D:lol:

Nell

ive run a 22-250 for over 5 years, its a great round and very accurate.

However I run mine with 75g bullets and load for accuracy not speed - if you push them too fast, you will burn the barrel.

Advantages?

No or little case expansion.

Very little powder fouling of case neck (mine is a tight neck anyway)

Disdvantages

they do not feed well from a magazine unless you alter the action feedramp (not recomended)

Pressure signs are difficult to read with this case, you need to be on top of your loading before "getting into" AI's

R

Thanks for that R, very interested in the calibre, what twist rate do you have in order to use 75 grainers ? how accurate are they and how far out does the accuracy hold up?

Pretty up on reloading, but never stop learning

6mm BR, misread the fireforming part of your post :) got it now.

RGDS

Nell

To add to 6BR on fireforming, I used 60g Sierra HP seated out to the lands on max loads, gave good blown cases and one hole groups (circa 1/2" for ten shots) I recall.

Current accuracy is (in still wind) guranteed first round hits out to 600 yards on 4 - 5 inch diameter targets.

Barrel is 1-8 tw Border - thats shot 3000+ rounds, throat is moving slowly forwards but still ok when I look at in with my borescope.

Thats great info,thanks R. One last Q, whats the difference between the Border and the Archer barrel? apart fron the £200 price tag :)

Nell

archers are button i believe

and border are cut rifle

and i think border are hand lapped as well

ATB

Colin ;)

Mine is cut - and it was £350 when I had the gun done, funny how inflation affects prices,,,,,not

Now that is inflation, £350 turns into £650. ;)

Obviously Ronin you must have had yours done 10 years+ ago :)

That was for the barrel only, I paid £200 for the work - Peter Jackson did it and a damn fine job he made.

Disdvantages

they do not feed well from a magazine unless you alter the action feedramp (not recomended)

R

And that is why I absolutely cannot understand why the 40 degree shoulder is deemed necessary when the improved case still works well when the 28 degree shoulder of the parent case is retained. There are more reamers for the 28 degree shoulder version around than you'd think- I believe Brian Pybus has at least three.

My .22-250 Ackley feds no problem at all from my Rem action with no modifications at all.

Both the Archer and Border cut rifled barrels are hand lapped.

I had an Archer barrel on my 6.5x47 Lapua which shot so well that when I built the Ackley I used the Archer barrel again as I could not see how an extra £200 could improve on one hole groups, so the £200 I saved I put it towards the Wild Dog stock ;)

Cheers

Dave

• 1 month later...
My .22-250 Ackley feds no problem at all from my Rem action with no modifications at all.

Both the Archer and Border cut rifled barrels are hand lapped.

I had an Archer barrel on my 6.5x47 Lapua which shot so well that when I built the Ackley I used the Archer barrel again as I could not see how an extra £200 could improve on one hole groups, so the £200 I saved I put it towards the Wild Dog stock ;)

Cheers

Dave

6mmbr

I have a 22-250AI on order - Rem 700, 24" #4 profile 1-12 gain twist and am hoping for good results from 55Vmax or 52 Amax.

May get a little less velocity than you with a 26" tube but it shouldn't be that far off.

Hows about you share your load data to save me a little developmet time & barrel life?

Thanks.

Steve.

PS wish I was clever enough to post photos ;)

I hit on the magic load very early on. Here it is, obviously work up to it in your rifle. In my Remy it is not a top load but best accuracy came at this charge weight.

.22-250 AI

43gn Vit N550 Fed gold match primer Berger 52 match bullet 10 thou off lands.

This gives an average velocity of 4030fps.

By the way don't have to be clever to post pictures.

Open a Photobucket account, upload you pics to Photobucket then copy and paste from Photobucket straight into your post.

Cheers and good luck.

Dave

Archived