H335 for fireforming?

flyingfisherman

Ive got half a tub of H335 that i no longer have a need for.. was wondering that due to its fast burn rate, could i use it for fireforming some 7-08 ackley brass? I fancy a go at fire forming using the cream of wheat method rather than just loading a straight load up and having the brass fire formed, really just for interest but also to save some barrel life.

It is incorrect to describe H335 as having a fast burn-rate, it's a medium burn rifle powder, one I have used in 308 behind 155gr bullets.

For fire-forming using cream of wheat, you need a pistol powder. I use an old tub of Nobel shotgun powder for this purpose.

One more concern with ball powders, there are caveats re. their suitability for reduced loads. I would only use stick powders for this purpose and never below 75% load density.

Ditto on Georges comments, I've only every used fast pistol powders, cream of wheat (Semolina actually) topped off with a 'stab' into a bar of soap to hold it all in place.

Plenty of info on the web related to this method.

You have to work up to an optimum load

T

Cheers guys,

Apologies for the 'fast burn' comment. I should have phrased, faster than anything else i use.. Just thought i would ask as the tub is sat around doing nothing.

Will find some pistol powder and go from there.

Archived