More Hornet help

wheelybins

I am about to start load developing for my .22 Hornet, I will be on Lil' Gun powder CCI small rifle primers and 35gr V-MAX.

Loads of people seem to be using 13gr of powder with all sorts of bullets, so is it worth working up from 12gr or should I just go straight to 13gr?

Cheers

Graham

I am about to start load developing for my .22 Hornet, I will be on Lil' Gun powder CCI small rifle primers and 35gr V-MAX.

Loads of people seem to be using 13gr of powder with all sorts of bullets, so is it worth working up from 12gr or should I just go straight to 13gr?

Cheers

Graham

Make 6 rounds up,

Start at 12 and work up and check for pressure signs until you get to 13.2...that's if you do!

The beauty with Lil-gun powder is that you can achieve good velocities with low chamber pressure. Eg a full case off Li-gun you will not be able to achieve max chamber pressures for that case.

If you say use H110 from memory Mzx book load is more around 11 grains, this is max standard pressure for the cartridge.

I sure you would be able to go stright upto 13 but for the safety sake and for the sake of making 6 round up, you will know for sure before you blow your face off!. ;)

Try what ive suggested and you will be fine.

Steve

If you say use H110 from memory Mzx book load is more around 11 grains, this is max standard pressure for the cartridge.

Steve

Except when you load 12.4gn. I do with 40gn vmax and it's spot on.

Thanks for that. I figured I would need to work it up as I have with all my other riles, I was just being lazy really. We are putting the test loads together in a bit and will shoot them at the weekend and post the results.

Cheers

Graham

My best load was with a 35 grain V-Max head, Winchester fire formed brass, CCI small pistol primer, (although, i'd advise using a small rifle primer with hindsight) A slight crimp, with 12.8 grains of Lil-Gun. I achieved a 4 shot group of .391"

Don't recall the coal length though...

Good luck.

Jamie

I have never noticed any difference in accuracy from my CZ Hornet between 12 and 13.5 grains. I load 13.5 grains with a Hornady VM 35 grain, or a Midway "Dog Town" 34 grain HP. One trick for accuracy loading in the Hornet is to trim all cases to the same length, flare the case mouth just enough to start the bullet into the case, seat and crimp with a Lee FCD. The flaring will aid in seating the bullet straight; no more bulges on the side of the neck and outstanding accuracy. My CZ will put 5 shot inside a half inch circle at 100M. I have shot 10 shot groups into just over 5/8 inch. (.66") ~Andrew

People frequently talk about the benefits of crimping in .22 Hornet. I don't crimp for any other cal and am a little dubious as to why I may need to with hornet. Is it really beneficial especially given that most commercially available bullet heads don't have a crimp channel?

Graham

I have never noticed any difference in accuracy from my CZ Hornet between 12 and 13.5 grains. I load 13.5 grains with a Hornady VM 35 grain, or a Midway "Dog Town" 34 grain HP. One trick for accuracy loading in the Hornet is to trim all cases to the same length, flare the case mouth just enough to start the bullet into the case, seat and crimp with a Lee FCD. The flaring will aid in seating the bullet straight; no more bulges on the side of the neck and outstanding accuracy. My CZ will put 5 shot inside a half inch circle at 100M. I have shot 10 shot groups into just over 5/8 inch. (.66") ~Andrew

following this with interest, so the crimping is actually to return the case mouth back to normal, after flaring and seating, more than crimping for the purpose of crimping?? is that right?

Still wouldn't bother, never needed to myself, with any caliber for that mater, so why bother with the hornet round?

following this with interest, so the crimping is actually to return the case mouth back to normal, after flaring and seating, more than crimping for the purpose of crimping?? is that right?

The crimp does remove the flare. I also got better accuracy and smaller standard deviation and extreme spread. The same reason I use pistol primers. I have taken to flaring everything I load, and I crimp everything. In the case of the Hornet, the results were hard to shrug off. I've run this loading process through two CZ's at my house, and three others owned by friends, The results were the same.

247Sniper: You should try it. What can it hurt. The FCD's are cheap.~Andrew

In the 12.8gr and 13gr ones the powder is very compressed which doesn't seem good to me. Do I need to worry?

Graham

Graham.

Dont worry pal, same powder, same bullet i had a 50grain bullet with upto 13.6 grain charge in it, compressed yes, any problems, NO. with lil-gun you wont be able to get enough powder in the case to achieve high pressure.

I would have put 14 grains of powder in if it would have fitted!

Lil-gun = high velocities, low pressure powder!

Check each case for pressure signs as you go up the powder charge fella just to be safe, but you will be ok im sure, you wont experience pressure signs even if you compress 13.6 grain in.

Steve.

Graham.

Dont worry pal, same powder, same bullet i had a 50grain bullet with upto 13.6 grain charge in it, compressed yes, any problems, NO. with lil-gun you wont be able to get enough powder in the case to achieve high pressure.

I would have put 14 grains of powder in if it would have fitted!

Lil-gun = high velocities, low pressure powder!

Check each case for pressure signs as you go up the powder charge fella just to be safe, but you will be ok im sure, you wont experience pressure signs even if you compress 13.6 grain in.

Steve.

Lovely stuff. Thank you.

Graham

The original load for darned near every bullet weight was 14.0 grains but after having about 100 calls from customers they(Hodgdon) realized that only Remington brass would actually take 14.0 grains. 13.5 is about tops for most others. My reloading room is festooned with enviably tiny groups fired with a CZ using Lil Gun.~Andrew

The original load for darned near every bullet weight was 14.0 grains but after having about 100 calls from customers they(Hodgdon) realized that only Remington brass would actually take 14.0 grains. 13.5 is about tops for most others. My reloading room is festooned with enviably tiny groups fired with a CZ using Lil Gun.~Andrew

Sounds good to me.

Thank you

Graham

Sounds good to me.

Thank you

Graham

Let us know how yuou get on with it and check out 247Sniper's vids shooting long range with a Hornet. For years the Hornet was considered a finicky cartridge delivering mediocre accuracy at best; especially in the American guns. The better European rifles have rewritten the Hornet tale and Lil Gun is the supreme Hornet powder with regard to speed and pressure balance. My CZ 527 American, within it's sphere of operation, is one of my most accurate centerfires. Load carefully and consistently, and enjoy.~Andrew

Found this.

Would seating the bullets like this cause problems? Could the cases be trimmed back to tidy them up, using a Wilson trimmer?

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2163130

Found this.

Would seating the bullets like this cause problems? Could the cases be trimmed back to tidy them up, using a Wilson trimmer?

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2163130

The Russian 7.62 Nagant service revolver seats a bullet completely inside the case, as does a 38 Specia/ or 38 AMU full wadcutter so yes, that is possible. You can trim your brass short, too, but is it worth it? Chances are the load is very reduced with a case capacity impinged upon by the bullet so you are trading magazine feeding for performance. Not a trade I would make. You see a lot of stuff on the Internet.....

Skip to the end and modify the magazine to take the longer 40 grain ballistic tips if those are the bullet of choice.~Andrew

Archived