Remington throat lenght

Does anyone know if Remis have long throats I have a old vssf that has done very little work max 300 rounds , I'm loading 55grain sierra semi points but it's impossible to get them any closer than 50 thou of lands, help as I'm not sure why

Does anyone know if Remis have long throats I have a old vssf that has done very little work max 300 rounds , I'm loading 55grain sierra semi points but it's impossible to get them any closer than 50 thou of lands, help as I'm not sure why

How do they shoot? Not every factory rifle will break 1/2 moa,,with any bullet or seating depth...and some are more tolerant than others...

On the whole, factory rifles have longish throats to accommodate a wide range of ammunition.

However, it's not necessarily the end of the world if the bullet is jumping >50 thou. If you're set on using that particular bullet and you don't think you're getting the groups you should with it, try shooting some test groups with even longer jumps as you may be able to tune it that way. It sounds wrong, but it can work with some bullet types. Try this:

Load 20 rounds with the following OALs:

5 with a .050" jump

5 with a .090" jump

5 with a .130" jump

5 with a .170" jump

Shoot those 5 groups and see if one of them outperforms the other three. If one does, use that as your baseline OAL and tweak it +/- to fine tune it.

I've used this method on VLDs which haven't been performing well close to the lands and it can produce surprising results.

My Remmy 308 had long throat that ment that when i found my optimum COAL which was 10 thou off the lands the round wouldnt fit in the magizine

Although I found a compromise COAL that fitted the magizine I was never happy

eventually I had the barrell removed and a minimum spec Palmer chamber cut and barrell refitted the result is that I can now get the best option on accuracy and still get it in the magizine

Ian

All comments on recent Remington 700s say they're exceptionally 'generous' in this respect. This is likely a 'product liability' CYA initiative. The manufacturer's nightmare is the handloaded round whose load is taken straight out of a reloading manual's maximum charge column allied to a bullet seated such that it takes a hard belt on the bolt-knob to force the round into the chamber because the bullet is jam-seated into the rifling. The idiot who does this wrecks the rifle and hurts himself or somebody alongside and takes the manufacturer to court claiming it was caused by an unsafe product.

Throat it really long and pressures plummet - problem solved, for the manufacturer anyway. .308 Remington PSS, VSSFs etc are so long-throated that some American FTR competitors are happily loading 210s, even 200-230gn Berger Hybrids in the OEM chamber and quoting VarGet loads on the AccurateShooter Forum that are simply dangerous in a more reasonably chambered (and internally tighter) barrel.

Thanks for the info I have done a few rounds up from 50 thou back to 120 thou away which is what most factory ammo was coming in at there and there abouts I'm yet to try the rounds but to be honest the first at fifty thou off shot well but like everyone I'm always looking for something better . The only reason Im using sierra semi points is that's all I could find local , is there any list so to speak which will show different bullet lengths as I would like to try and start at lands and work back unless I get what I'm looking for further back whilst testing what I've all ready made up I'll keep you all posted thanks swatty

Swatty,there will be a bullet that shoots to the rifle's potential-problem is,we don't know what that potential is....but usually Remington VSSFs shoot pretty well...

Assume its a 223 or 22/250 ? "I'm loading 55 sierra..."

Really its try and see-rifles can be individual in their absolute favourite bullets.

OAL is largely irrelevant-it's the ogive length that matters-(base to where the bullet starts to 'point',as it's that 'ogive point' that contacts the riflng-!if any part of the bullet does!).

You don't say what you use the rifle for-that will have some restrictions on the kind of bullet (Target,varmint etc). There are heavy (ie longer) bullet options esp for 223,if your barrel twist is fast enough to take them....eg 69,77....and quality (Lapua,Berger,Sierra).Non expanding need not be face to face,but there should be a decent choice not too far away.

More detail as above might help specific advice.Should be do-able (what groups do you expect/get?)

gbal

My Sako TRG-22 has a very long throat and it was like this from new. Since the barrel is a 11 twist it will shoot 210 grain bullets so would need a long throat to accommodate these safely (as per Laurie's comment on this).

This rifle shoots 155 grain bullets accurately and I've found that with the #2156 SMK's, seated to the optimum seating depth mentioned on previous posts, the jump is excess of 0.100". Even the good old #2155s have a 0.050" jump.

The only 155 grain bullet that allows a small jump is the Lapua Scenar because this is such a long bullet.

I have come to the conclusion (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that beyond a bullet jump of 0.050" any more doesn't make much difference in accuracy.

Rifle is 22.250 the main reason for the sierra semi points is abit of a alto under as I get North of the border toe stalking abit and find the 250 a lovely roe calibre but I'm having a change of tack and going to use it for varminting only as I've just put a variation in for a 6.5 /47 as a all round deer calibre . I suppose I'll have to test my made up rounds and see what I get to be honest every factory and even most of my own load have shot inch or less so I know the rifle shoots well I'd just like to eack every last bit out of it

OK,it's a 22/250.Presumably standard twist-were they 1 in12....you need to check.

Accurate Shooter site has a lot on bullets for 22/250-but choice is linked to twist (as always).You may not be able to try the longer (ogive) bullets.Nothing much you can do about that-but it will be an odd 22/250 that will not shoot some lighter bullet well under an inch-and you have been getting about that.If it can't be improved,you can only chose large varmints,or closer ones! eg fox to 200y,but 300y crows are edging outside that accuracy envelope.Good luck.

gbal

Archived