AR buffer springs

6.5Grendel

One for the AR builders / users

Do buffer springs get weaker over time and need replacing ?

I have a 6.5 grendel on the AR platform and recently the bolt doesn't lock up fully sometimes , especially on a full mag . I have cleaned the bolt lugs and receiver as best I can.

It is fitted with an easycam to aid extraction which adds to the weight the spring has to deal with .

i'm wondering if it is slight wear on the easycam / receiver causing a bit of 'drag' or just a new buffer spring required.

Any comments welcomed

Andy

David Tubb does an uprated one from swedish silicone steel and they are excellent. Midway do them. I cured a similar problem on an AR10 with one.

I would guess there is another problem. I have had the same buffer and spring in my CSR/PR rifle for nearly 20 years and about 50K rounds.

Try to see if there is dirt or brass shavings behind the locking liugs. Or the most common cause for the bolt failing to go fully in to battery is the user riding the bolt forward, this coupled with friction between rounds in the full mag and the bottom of the carrier can cause it from fully going forward.

I would look for another cause just now as this is a recent problem and things were OK in the past. 3K is not many rounds, I doubt it is the spring even if you store the rifle with the bolt locked back.

I would guess there is another problem. I have had the same buffer and spring in my CSR/PR rifle for nearly 20 years and about 50K rounds.

Try to see if there is dirt or brass shavings behind the locking liugs. Or the most common cause for the bolt failing to go fully in to battery is the user riding the bolt forward, this coupled with friction between rounds in the full mag and the bottom of the carrier can cause it from fully going forward.

I would look for another cause just now as this is a recent problem and things were OK in the past. 3K is not many rounds, I doubt it is the spring even if you store the rifle with the bolt locked back.

Hi

I have cleaned everything as best i can , i guess i should invest in a proper AR cleaning kit.

I definitely don't ride the bolt or store it with the spring compressed.

I took the spring out and it is 3 coils and 1"shorter than a std AR rifle length spring (as per midway's site) and i have ordered a heavy duty spring to try. The grendel cases are tight in the mag and quite a steep shoulder to be pushed up the feed ramps.

Hopefully this will solve it

Andy

Archived