Redding micrometer

Dac9976

Hi all

Can anyone explain how to read a micrometer properly.

I have a Redding competition seating die but I'm not sure of the increments.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Danny.

Danny,

I've always found on mine that one hash does roughly represent 0.001"

But I would never really on it for an accurate reading, I will always seat long long and then adjust slowly down to where I want to be.

I've also found with certain bullets there is a larger difference to the ogive point, so normally seat several bullets slightly long just to double check that they are all at this length then adjust the micrometer to get to exactly the required comparator length.

From Redding Competition Seating die in Sinclair's catalog:This micrometer-adjustable die is calibrated in .001" increments,for precise seating depth adjustments and is infinitely adjustable(no clicks).

The 'horizontal' markings on the mic go from 0,through 5,10....45 markings...to zero;with sub division markings presumably in .001" ie there are 5 such from 35 to 40,eg.Complete revolutions of 50,are shown on the lowerstem with 1,2,etc etc alternating on each side of the vertical.

I've always thought the main use was to return your seater (say it was at 2 46) back to that same seating depth (2 46) after you had loaded some different bullets at a different setting in between.(for that it really does not matter what units-inch eg-it is calibrated in-just that it is repeatable (2 46 gives the same depth,with the same bullets.)

gbal

Danny,

But I would never really on it for an accurate reading, I will always seat long long and then adjust slowly down to where I want to be.

I've also found with certain bullets there is a larger difference to the ogive point, so normally seat several bullets slightly long just to double check that they are all at this length then adjust the micrometer to get to exactly the required comparator length.

Hi Steve

Your method is exactly what I do:)

Danny,

Hi Steve

Your method is exactly what I do:)

From Redding Competition Seating die in Sinclair's catalog:This micrometer-adjustable die is calibrated in .001" increments,for precise seating depth adjustments and is infinitely adjustable(no clicks).

The 'horizontal' markings on the mic go from 0,through 5,10....45 markings...to zero;with sub division markings presumably in 1" ie there are 5 such from 35 to 40,eg.Complete revolutions of 50,are shown on the lowerstem with 1,2,etc etc alternating on each side of the vertical.

I've always thought the main use was to return your seater (say it was at 2 46) back to that same seating depth (2 46) after you had loaded some different bullets at a different setting in between.(for that it really does not matter what units-inch eg-it is calibrated in-just that it is repeatable (2 46 gives the same depth,with the same bullets.)

gbal

Thanks for the input chaps. My question is now answered

Archived