22PPC and 20PPC

Si-Snipe

Yes I think they do..

I use lap 220 brass in mine just gotta neck turn, size and fireform them an your away...

Had mine re barrelled last year,took me a few months to get things how I wanted them. An I'm really pleased with it now set 2 new pb's with it over the summer ☺

Yes I think they do..

I use lap 220 brass in mine just gotta neck turn, size and fireform them an your away...

Had mine re barrelled last year,took me a few months to get things how I wanted them. An I'm really pleased with it now set 2 new pb's with it over the summer ☺

PB's what on M 8

I have a Sako A1 in 22PPC. I believe it has just sold to a lad on the Stalking Directory forum.

Feeds perfectly, as it should bearing in mind that it was made as a 22PPC.

I used to have a Sako75 in the same calibre. I sourced a good supply of Sako factory ammunition so have never formed from 220 Russian brass, although I have a couple of hundred 220 Russian Lapua cases to hand.

Good, accurate and effective cartridge.

My mag says 7.62x39 on it. Not up all the metric jargon so not sure what that is...

Pb's on fox an Maggie.

The 22PPC case is based on the 220 Russian Running Boar cartridge,itself a necked down version of the

7.62x39 Soviet military cartridge. Most users-6PPC too-use Lapua brass headstamped 220 russian,though there is also (proprietary) Sako brass-headstamped PPC USA (and maybe Norma?)

Generally,about as accurate a cartridge as has been devised,for short range use.Good barrrel life too (2000 min at top competitive precision).Feed fine in appropriate magazine rifles,like Sako.

gbal

• 4 weeks later...

Louis palmasino and ferris pindell , think thats how they spelt ? One day ill own a ppc ! ;)

The 22PPC was developed by avid benchrester Dr Louis Palmisano and gunsmith Ferris Pindell (hence PP Cartridge) in 1974;essentially an optimised version (10 degree body taper,30 degree shoulder) of the 220 Russian case ( Lapua brass head-stamp),used for Running Boar Competition,and itself a necked down version of the Soviet 7.62x39 military cartridge. Sako and Norma made brass (the Sako is marked ppc usa- probably some licensing/copyright issues.Shoots perfectly in Sako rifles,no longer produced.

Ruger made some too,and Cooper may still(?) make varmint carry rifles.Mag fed versions of all were fine.

The 6PPC followed immediately,and the rest is the history of Bench Rest since-total domination. (factory options as 22PPC).

It is a phenomenally accurate cartridge-in appropriate rifles-remember most are BR rigs,but the few sporters made are pretty good too. No problem with Sako brass in Sakos. Competition brass based on the Lapua Russian 220 case will need some prep,many comp rifles are tight neck,but isn't any more work than other options,and obviously a neck up for 6PPC.

Good varmint round,eclipsed probably by the BR case,with a tad more capacity,for distance,but not accuracy. All load development has been done,many thousand times,with pretty much the same result. I'd consider the limited options (or need,to fiddle with it) a real bonus-what's available is the best,as is it's performance in it's class.

It's relative rarity in production rifles is no reflection of it's ability,demonstrated at every BR comp,since it's introduction. It does lag a bit behind the BR case ( 22BR eg) for longer range varminting,and nowhere near as accomplished as the 6BR,when we move beyond ,say,500y.

gbal

Hi, I own 6PPC and 20BR, both single shot full customs.

The PPC has a 1.4thou neck clearance, the BR a fitted neck. I have had the ejectors removed from both as the brass is hand formed and not simple to replace, dont want to be loosing brass. I have shot 3 foxes plus a miss in under 60 seconds, thats the only time in 20 years that a mag feed would have been handy. 3 big cubs came piling out of a wood in the lamp.

PPC is built as a high precision high accuracy case, to get the best from it and any similar round it needs feeding through a single shot action. This flexes less under firing than a mag feed. As far as I am aware only the SAKO PPC could be fed from a mag with reasonable success.

The diameter of the PPC case is fatter than the 223 case so I doubt it will feed reliably anyway.

If you are not shooting BR comps with it I would suggest you use the BR case. My 20BR more than holds its own in 100BR shoots I have attended. Slightly higher capacity and it has a .473 head so will fit a 243/308 magazine, getting it to feed though will be more difficult due to the shoulder angle being steeper than 243 etc.

A

Hi, I own 6PPC and 20BR, both single shot full customs.

The PPC has a 1.4thou neck clearance, the BR a fitted neck. I have had the ejectors removed from both as the brass is hand formed and not simple to replace, dont want to be loosing brass. I have shot 3 foxes plus a miss in under 60 seconds, thats the only time in 20 years that a mag feed would have been handy. 3 big cubs came piling out of a wood in the lamp.

PPC is built as a high precision high accuracy case, to get the best from it and any similar round it needs feeding through a single shot action. This flexes less under firing than a mag feed. As far as I am aware only the SAKO PPC could be fed from a mag with reasonable success.

The diameter of the PPC case is (I think) fatter than the 223 case so I doubt it will feed reliably anyway.

I

This bit needs removing please mods.

If you are not shooting BR comps with it I would suggest you use the BR case. My 20BR more than holds its own in 100BR shoots I have attended. Slightly higher capacity and it has a .473 head so will fit a 243/308 magazine, getting it to feed though will be more difficult due to the shoulder angle being steeper than 243 etc.

A

Archived