Does anyone know if the socket threaded insert on this mod can be unscrewed and another put in with a different thread ? I have two .223 and would like to use the one mod for both. Something tells me it may be welded, so I dont want to chance damaging it

I,ve managed to change inserts several times now but they can be a bitch to remove. Firstly you have to get a good grip on the mod body which I do on a lathe ,,,apply a little heat,,,use a good fitting socket or similar and usually you can free them up and fit your new insert.These mods are almost everlasting so worth doing if you can.

Jacksons will probably want to send the new insert to an RFD who has an "account" with them and recommend a gunsmith fit it for you which I suppose is best advice really.

I think that you can have the bushings changed, but they have to go back to Jackson Rifles for this.

And it's Ase Utra!

Used to get told off at school about my spelling 40 years on nothing changed :) Thanks for the advice it certainly wouldn't be a quick change from one rifle to the other so I will look out for another, The reason for swapping is my AR is so much more useable with the short mod than the 700 with a wildcat.

Once again thanks

I still spell things wrongly all the time. Thank goodness for spell checkers!

The name is pretty easy to remember once you know what it means. 'Ase' means 'weapon' in Finnish and 'Utra' is the district in the town of Joensuu, Finland where they are made.

I still spell things wrongly all the time. Thank goodness for spell checkers!

The name is pretty easy to remember once you know what it means. 'Ase' means 'weapon' in Finnish and 'Utra' is the district in the town of Joensuu, Finland where they are made.

ie it isn't the English " ultra" meaning 'especially good',as 'ultra velocity',BSA "Ultra' PCP etc etc.It's a Finnish place.

I'm not sure a spell check would pick up on that,as it ('Ultra' ) isn't really a spelling error,as 'ultra' is a kosher english word,just the wrong word following ASE in Finnish! It's as likely an initial reading error,made more likely by the much hyped 'ultra' in adverts for shooting gear.

But no need for an 'uber' cognitive guilt about it! We all know what is being referred to. (There are plenty other words where you won't have this get out of jail card!)

Yup it would be Ultra good if I hadn't already had the 700 chopped some years ago,i don't think I could get away with a 12 inch barrel,barel,barrle,barle ?

Barelly leggal,in deed (note the ambiguity/error induced..... :-)

Archived