Powder limits

SOUTHERNER

Is there a limit on how much powder you can store at home??

The reason being is that last month i brought a tub of Varget for 37.99 ;) gone up from 31.99 about six months ago..

This afternoon i am going with my brother to collect his new rifle from another RFD about an hour and a half away.

And his Varget is 29.99 ;) so i,m thinking while i,m there i might stock up on maybe 4 tubs which may even bring a further discount for cash!!

I also think it's 5kg in total. So if you also have loaded shotgun ammo about there will be a bit in that that needs taking into consideration.

Who is checking/enforceing this ?, I have never heard of anyone being prosecuted for having over 5KG. I expect a casual eye may be passed over it at renewal but thats probably about all.

A

I do believe its a Health and Safety issue.

Ian.

They dont have time to visit businesses and have to employ temp inspectors to hit their figures. Cant see them every venturing into a private house given that they probably would not be able to access who reloads anyway.

a

The HSE inspectors dont need a warrant to enter anybodies property if they believe they are holding explosive substances.

Thses explosive substances cover such items as primers, black powder, propellents, butane and propane, oxy-acetylene welding equipment, and many aerosol products etc.....

Even if they did have the man power to do searches, the average handloader who has too much powder without adequate storage fascilities (magazine????), will be most likely be found out by accident.

Ian.

When plod were going to introduce powder storage measures a few years ago I bought an approved storage powder box as I had a renewal coming up.

Made of basically ply wood with external metal clasp,hinges and staples for security cord. At my last renewal it just got a glance, no one wanted to see inside it or what was in it.

The thing I was driving at was where would HSE get the info that we are holding powder, it is not on the renewall forms but probably on our file notes if the FEO is worth his salt.

A

Archived