Barrel Threads

As a supplier to moderators to mostly the trade and some retail, all these threads are a complete pain in the ass, not only for myself and others like me. Just think of all the stock a guns shop has to have in just to have one of each on the shelf. I may stand corrected here but from experience for example.

Tikka ans Sako thin barrel 14 x 1

Tikka ans Sako heavy barrel 18 x 1

RPA 17 x 1

Blazer 15 x 1 or 17 x1

Browning 9/16 x 24

Ect, ect..

Times this by three calibres choices and in the case of PES black or silver finish and you can see the problem.

Most UK gunsmiths were happy with ½” x 20 unf for thin and 5/8 x 18 for heavy barrels.

I was told the other day that (quote) Sako and Tikka will put ½ x 20 or 5/8 x 18 on if ordered no problem.

Yes it’s handy to have guns already threaded but in the right threads, I get loads of complaints by gun shops on this issue. These guns are threaded for the UK market only lets put pressure on the likes of GMK to do what we the gun shops and public want.

I would like to see other people's opinions on this subject, or if you have had any experience of this?

Julian. JMS Arms

Personaly

I would prefer to see the maximum diameter thread possible on a particular barrel allowing of course for the fitment of a thread protector (be that metric or imperial)

I wouldnt like to see a 1/2" UNF on a 30 cal with a .800" muzzle diameter. (thats an extreme example)

I think the industry has no way of standardising muzzle threads and barrel diameters as there are simply so many components available.

Just my 2p

I think the first thing that has to be done is to get the Moderator manufacturers to cut the threads to the ISO standard fit.

I have done a few 1/2"x20's now and i have had to cut the threads to suit the moderator, had i cut the threads to a ring gauge half the mods would not screw on and the others would flop around like a limp wrist.

The whole idea of an international standards system is that all parts by all makers will be interchangeable IMO this is not the case in the moderator industry.

Ian.

• 2 weeks later...
Personaly

I would prefer to see the maximum diameter thread possible on a particular barrel allowing of course for the fitment of a thread protector (be that metric or imperial)

I wouldnt like to see a 1/2" UNF on a 30 cal with a .800" muzzle diameter. (thats an extreme example)

I think the industry has no way of standardising muzzle threads and barrel diameters as there are simply so many components available.

Just my 2p

Well said,, I agree with you!!! nothing worse that a half inch thread on a nice big fat barrel

F2n <_<

hi

i the USA the go by the diameter of your barrel at the muzzle to determine your thread size.this way you don't have 2 small a thread on your rifle like a 30 cal and a 1/2" unf. this all so enables them to have stock on the shelf,with the right threads ready to go

IE

1/2 ins. - .530 -.575

9/16 ins. - .580 -.650

5/8 ins. - .650 -.750

3/4 ins. - .775 -.850

1/2 ins. - .530 -.575

9/16 ins. - .580 -.650

- 5/8 ins. - .650 -.750

3/4 ins. - .875

3/4 ins. - .775 -.850

7/8 ins. - .975 -1.125

7/8 ins. - 1.125 -1.250