BURRIS ELIMINATOR 3

cockneykev

HI, NEW ON THIS SITE BUT HAD BEEN SHOOTING FOR MANY YEARS, AFTER A 20 YEAR BREAK FROM SHOOTING IM NOW BACK AND OOOOOH SO CONFUSED AS TO THE AMOUNT OF NEW GEAR ON THE MARKET.

WELL AS NEW BACK AND STARTING AGAIN IVE GOT MYSELF A 17HMR AS A STARTER RIFLE AND BEEN GIVEN A BURRIS ELIMINATOR 3 TO MOUNT ON TOP , NOW THE BIG QUESTION " HOW THE HELL DO YOU SET IT UP WHEN THE BC / DROP NUMBERS ARE NOT IN THE SUPPLIED INFO AND PLEASE TELL ME HOW YOU CALCULATE THE BD AT THE 750 YDS AS BURRIS RECOMMEND WITH A 17HMR ?

LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR REPLIES AS IM AT A TOTAL LOSS

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE

COCKNEYKEV

(DEVON )

Yes,the B eliminator is not intended for rimfire rifles.And the 17HMR is a 200-250 yard rifle,and that when there isn't any wind....here are the drop/drift in inches (10mph wind) Hornady 17g vmax bullet ,100y zero:

25y -.5/.2; 50 .2/.8; 75 .3/1.6; 100 0/2.9; 125 .9/5.3; 150 2.6/8 ; 175 5/11.3; 200 8.5/15.3

The eliminator will only adjust for drop-even at 150 yards it's only 2.6 inches,which is probably easier to do with hold over,or conventional click adjustment on an elevation turret,but you may be able to use the eliminator dot....as you say,how to set it up...?? - I suppose the drop at 750y is calculable,but it's way out of the cartridges envelope,and probably unobtainable...(the eliminator eg is geared for cf cartridges,where a 243 say would be dropping 20.4 inches at 400 (from 200 zero)-and that isn't readily adjustable by hold over,and there might not be time for clicks-that's the eliminators niche,deer with cf cartridges-the dot moves appreciably,and accurately-for drop (not wind,your real problem).

I suspect you'd be better off with a regular scope on a rim fire-you still have to make the much more tricky allowance for wind,and burris won't do that too well....what is the wind doing 150 yards away?

If you want an answer,I'd e mail Burris and ask if it's possible....there may not be (m)any rf users here...

gbal

kev....just another point,check just how much of possible targets the aim dot covers at say 150 yards,at higher mag esp-a tin can will do-you might find it is totally obscured by the dot-so are you aiming centre can or up/down those critical couple of inches somewhere on the can....no such problem with a cross hair.

Welcome back,by the way-indeed there are some changes - and more innovations each year....but they tend to be of limited application-I love the burris lazerscope read out,for longer distances (350+),as it's so much easier than trying to hold a little rangefinder steady.And the quality of lenses and adjustments on mid range,and even budget scopes is much better.That said,despite lots of fancy stuff elsewhere,I still use 40 y old Tasco scopes (6-24,or less) on most 22 rf rifles,and never feel disadvantaged at rf ranges-or out to 250y with the smaller cfs-and can shoot down to fairly low light,with reduced mag,if need be.Never feel any miss was because of poor scope specs....at the other end of the cartridge and scope scale,any misses are down to ranging/and esp wind reading error,which even Night Force etc can't compensate! Human error! Rangefinders are a major advance,given trajectories and human inaccuracy in rangingunaided.

Choice is good,if rather dazzling at first-and opinions/eyes differ eg very obviously on magnification-there is no right/wrong,but you have to see clearly and locate the dot/cross hair with precision whatever is used..

g

Hi kev , id just get one that suits the hmr better and put Burris on another gun when aquired :)

Archived