Highseat - Panther

I like sitting up for foxes as one form of control and last year I missed out on a few opportunities due to too much cover hiding the red ones.

This item caught my eye as a potential fix for that problem and it could also come in useful for some deer opportunities on other ground too.

A static / permanent highseat would not be any good for the land I am looking at here due to so many spots to cover and theft / vandalism / liability issues (from idiots falling out of the seat). So this seemed like a pretty good solution, £185 investment made :(

http://www.bushwear.co.uk/ProductDetails.a...product_id=8932

I'll let you read the marketing writeup on the link above but below will stick to my own use and experience.

Delivery

Like all new arrivals - I applied the unwrap and play philosophy, so decided to test and set up the highseat in the garden. There was a lack of suitable trees so up it went against the house :lol: Having ignored the wet and windy conditions I went up the seat and it moved about a bit too much for my liking ;) This of course was totally my fault in using the highseat in a less than wise fashion. But it did result in me getting a healthy respect for using the seat in the correct manner in future and securing to a suitable tree in the field.

Size / weight

The unit is reasonably light and it would be possible to walk (not stalk ;)) a short distance, say 200 yards with rifle and the highseat, if the ground was easy going and there was no mud / hills / ditches to negotiate. Difficult ground to travel accross would mean losing the rifle and struggle a bit with the highseat only.

Size is compact and it would just about fit in my Dinky 4x4 (with all seats down except the drivers :lol: ) but the use of a roof rack was a better option. Any reasonable size estate / Pickup / 4x4 would take the seat no problem. Fellow Jimny owners - get the roof rack :lol:

DSC00091.jpg

DSC00092.jpg

Quality

It is a well made seat and should last me a few years of modest use. I don't plan to 1) run it over 2) have it fall out of trucks 3) leave it out year round 4) generally abuse the seat. If you plan to do all that then expect it to last accordingly.

Ease of use / set up

It is a very easy seat to setup a couple of catches here and there and you are ready to position against a tree. No tools needed and can be quiet (almost silent) with a bit of care.

DSC00093.jpg

DSC00094.jpg

move the rail supports forward

DSC00095.jpg

but only lightly secure - fine adustments to be made once sitting in place

DSC00096.jpg

Height

High enough for me and greatly enhances my coverage of the areas I need to stake out. Bushwear have just (April 2008) brought out an extension section called the Cub for £50 which will give an extra metre or so of height. I doubt that I will get the additional section, as to my view it takes away the benefit of having a compact one piece unit. I can see it's use if you want the extra height and don't mind the two pieces.

Enhancements

The shooting rail came with a 2-3mm thick rubber covering, which was ok but I prefer a little extra padding so added a few bits of pipe insulation. The seat area rests metal to metal and to lessen any potential noise spooking things I just wrapped a few turns of insulating tape around the connecting surfaces. The seat itself is plastic and clips on to the metal frame (it's the weakest part of the structure). I planned to spend a few hours in the seat so took a cushion to sit on - my arse lacks padding :P

After a couple of hours the back support (effectively a flat metal plate) felt a bit uncomfartable and could benefit from some addition - maybe I'll add a bit of padding there too.

Securing to trees - see below.

Trees come in all shapes and sizes - but not many "standard"

The ideal tree for this seat is a telegraph pole (like in the advert) - no branches to get in the way and straight. The tree in my photos is a touch too wide to fit the seat perfectly. It worked ok though and to secure the seat (I ignored the string that came with the seat) I added 1 strap to the tree and secured 2 additional straps to each side of the seat and then to the tree strap - blue in the photo and loads of excess strapping - I need to work on tidying up that arrangement. A trimming saw may be required for small branches if your ground lacks telegraph poles. :lol:

The result was a very sturdy seat and shooting rail.

find a tree - with or without an audience

DSC00097.jpg

ever feel like you are being watched ?

DSC00098.jpg

strapped up and ready to occupy

DSC00100.jpg

ok sit and wait

DSC00101.jpg

I am pleased with the seat and it should account for a few extra foxes and deer this year.

Happy Hunting

AndyCM

post-57-1208382531_thumb.jpg

post-57-1208382588_thumb.jpg

post-57-1208382796_thumb.jpg

post-57-1208382895_thumb.jpg

post-57-1208383170_thumb.jpg

post-57-1208383195_thumb.jpg

post-57-1208383345_thumb.jpg

post-57-1208383851_thumb.jpg

post-57-1208384392_thumb.jpg

post-57-1208384880_thumb.jpg

I must said that I've used one of these over the past couple of seasons on an estate in Berkshire, I think its great shot several deer from it. We tend to set it up the night before, the deer settle straight to it. Think I will be investing in one myself in the near future.

Nice honest review, it looks like a useful piece of equipment. The only thing that discouraged me was the height, I think it needs another section.

This is the extra piece avaialable.

http://www.bushwear.co.uk/ProductDetails.a...roduct_id=10008

nice review

Archived