.20 practical

Picked up new custom / JohnCarr actioned kreiger barreled niel McKillop built Friday . Im a happy boy , it looks great and thanks to niel hes done a cracking job . Well , started load development Friday starting with Ramshot Tac . Did the OCW test from 22g and up to 25 if i remember . shooting 39 sierras it was shooting pretty good around the inch @200 . - i knew it could do better !

switched to N135 because iv got a fuul tub , again did OCW test and out of 6 groups one in perticular was Vgood just under half inch @200 3 shots . that group had a charge weight of 23.2 so i then did a seating depth test . Having worked out my bullets touching the lands was 2.256 so i went -

That test showed 2240 went to just over half inch @200 4x shots- sweet

So today been zeroing an getting drop chart out to 400 in the crappy Vwindy / rainy weather this weekend ,

200 yard zero ,

300 -6"

400-18"

Hmm - now i knew from this test i should be able to go quicker ! At 400 i still managed 2" 4x shots in the horendus winds tho . Im going to try N133 next i think and see how it goes . Its allot harder seeing pressure signs in this action as there's no primer cratering around the FP dent ! Ill have my laptop back Friday ( being fixed ) and try to get some pics up - not to mention have quickload back !

One small problem i did encounter was when using a 229 bushing i went to a 228 to give 2thou neck tention - THEN when seating bullets in NEW lapua brass was shimming the bullets taking a minute ring of copper off ! Glad i spotted this as it could of made its way in to the action / barrel .

Thought id share some info if anyone is consider a .20 P , it seems an ace little cartridge - remembering that this was all virgin brass not formed . I also had a few hours out hunting with it earlier in this afternoon - cheak out the varmint section - lets just say i had a smashing time ! Hehe atb tim

Sounds good, what are you using to chamfer the necks. I had the same issue with shaving brass and a K&M vld chamfer tool solved the problem

Good luck with it

S

Thanks , i got a lyman vld one a while back together with the plastic and rubber handle , i can chamfer straighter than with my old rcbs one , tho i still use that one to do the outside ! Cheers

I forgot to mention the kreiger barrel it is clean in like 3 patches ! Theres not even a hint of copper fouling ! amazing , my old walther 8 twist was just a nightmare as i could work up to 50 patches thru it and still show blue copper on patches . Mind i didnt realise this was a button rifling process as this kreiger is single point cut rifling process . Hand lapped as is the walther-i think . Its simply a better quality barrel - it wasn't cheap but hopefully when this stormy windy weather goes ill be out doing more load testing with N133 trying to squeeze out more accuracy and speed but not hot mind ! I went out earlier just to try and get 1or2 mor magpies but almost went home without seeing anything , que a woodpidgeon - only 174y in rape stubble , maximum damage / clean kills - im loving this 20 - getting all addicted lol cheers -OH Then theres the jewel trigger - nice and very light

Archived