Advice required please. Can i clean "Moly" off bullets?

Jamie

Hi folks,

I'm after some constructive advice please.

I have a few boxes of 75 grain .224 A-Max bullets.

One box is the "moly" coated variety. This one box was bought purely on the advice of the rfd.

Which I'm now thinking was advice based purely on a sale, and not on my needs....

I've done a little bit of research, and it seems, it's either best to stick with moly or not. As in do not interchange them.

Firstly, is it right that the 2 can not be mixed?

And secondly, if this is the case, can I clean the moly coating off, sufficiently enough that they will be able to be used alongside the standard 75 grain A-Max in .224?

And lastly, If the "moly's" are not suitable for interchanging with non "moly", would I be able to use the Moly, just for load development? Or would the moly coating alter the characteristics of the bullet so much, that the data gathered, wouldn't be of any use when compared with non moly 75 grain A-Max?

Some advice would be appreciated...

Thanks

Jamie.

The moly coated ones do behave differently. You can't use the same load for moly and non-moly and get the same result. I think the moly ones create less pressure and lower velocity for the same amount of powder but it may be the other way round.

You can clean the moly off with either steel wool and a sore wrist or an abrasive in a tumbler but it's probably easier to sell/swap them.

Thanks for the replies both.

I think i'll try for a swap, though I won't hold my breath.....

As for taking them back, I've had them for 8-9 months and have opened the box due to being inquisitive.

Thanks

Jamie

I may have a box of naked 224 a max - I've just bought a few hundred moly coated amax and ill swap you your moly for my naked - (assuming I can find the box of naked…)

I may have a box of naked 224 a max - I've just bought a few hundred moly coated amax and ill swap you your moly for my naked - (assuming I can find the box of naked…)

That would be just the job Ronin! Let me know if you find some naked!

Cheers

Jamie

Archived