Boron Nitride

dylan5588

Hi, Anyone have any experience using Boron Nitride lubrication for bullets and/or bores? it has been suggested that it may help protect the throat from erosion as it is resistant to up to 900 degree celsius temps.

Regards Adrian

Very easy to apply using a tumbler, jar and small ball bearings (probably shot or BBs would also work but might be a bit soft to 'hammer' powder into bullets) and very clean (unlike Moly!) ......only time will tell if it is as effective as claimed but I am sticking with it on a 6mmSLR and Dtacs.....early days results show very little fouling occurs.

Expensive to buy but a little will last a lifetime.

Very easy to apply using a tumbler, jar and small ball bearings (probably shot or BBs would also work but might be a bit soft to 'hammer' powder into bullets) and very clean (unlike Moly!) ......only time will tell if it is as effective as claimed but I am sticking with it on a 6mmSLR and Dtacs.....early days results show very little fouling occurs.

Expensive to buy but a little will last a lifetime.

Have you noticed any improvement in cold bore shots? Ie less velocity difference between cold bore shot and subsequent shots.

Adrian

To be honest I have seldom experienced the fabled cold bore shot problem...I am more inclined to put that down to a 'cold shooter' who has not got his eye in yet.

I am more interested in the suggested increase in barrel life especially for calibres liable to be barrel burners.

To be honest I have seldom experienced the fabled cold bore shot problem...I am more inclined to put that down to a 'cold shooter' who has not got his eye in yet.

I am more interested in the suggested increase in barrel life especially for calibres liable to be barrel burners.

As you say "time will tell" I will do some more research, and maybe give it a try,

Regards Adrian

My experience is Hbn is best applied using clean ceramic media, I keep things separate by bunging it in sealable vitamin tubs and use a timer to control the tumbling duration.

My experience is Hbn is best applied using clean ceramic media, I keep things separate by bunging it in sealable vitamin tubs and use a timer to control the tumbling duration.

yes saw that method used on a utube vid, Is there uses for HBN in barrel conditioning, if so i would think the high temp resistance would help with throat erosion?? or is there not a HBN media that could be used in this way, I have seen sprays advertised could this be used in the bore?

Adrian

I use a bore mop coated in Hbn to coat the bore lightly before I fire rounds.

You can buy sprays but I would not want a lube getting into the chamber.

I use HBN and find it very easy to apply and def causes less fouling. The down side is you have to buy a shed load of it....i have enough here to last me a lifetime!

If you'd like some to try let me know.

Many thanks for the offer, i have had some given to me to try, just needed some advice from people that have had first hand experience, Thanks to all who have replied

Regards Adrian

Archived