kimber rifle or sako

im going to change my rem 700 in 22 50 for a 243 later this year because we have a lot of deer on our shoot at the moment which will need thinning out sometime so will need a 243 for deer and fox my rem 700 has been a great rifle will shoot sub 0.5 inch with factory ammo will shoot norma sako rem acc also priv part all shoot the same impact point .i think i have been very lucky with this rifle .any advise which to buy kimber montana or sako

If the rifle shoots well, why not put a 260 Rem barrel onto it? Regards JCS

Apologies for butting in here, but wouldn't it be more cost effective, to sell the .22-250 as a complete rifle, and buy a new .243 rifle?

More of a question than a statement...

Jamie

Nigel, as other forum members suggest,you have some options-as well as your own!

The 243 would seem a very sound choice,a well established UK cartridge for fox and deer (possibly not the best for large reds,but adequate there too.JCS book recommendation is good reading,but Foster isn't always mainstream New Zealand,and only has misgivings about 243 beyond 400y and 150 lb weight-who would not,but hardly applies here.)

Either Kimber or Sako are highly likely to accurate factory rifles-choice is really down to your personal preference.If you really liked your Rem 700 ,then that too is unlikely to disappoint (of course there are lots of other options-what 243 bolt action would not be a capable 200 y fox/deer rifle!?)

You could cost out the options:

A:sell 22/250 and buy new S/K (approx+£350,-£1400 = net £1k (all £ approx),new Rem could be £400 less

B: Sell and buy a used Sako (75 or earlier might be better rifles?) net £400

C: Rebarrel 22/250 (any cal) ....£750

Seems that you could be looking at £750,for plan B&C,£1k if you go for plan A,a new K/S

You may well not be too concerned about a few hundred £.

I have had several Remingtons and quite a few Sakos,no Kimbers-all have been at least 1/2 moa,so all more than adequate-I do like the older Sakos best (only with a try before buy option).

What is important is that you get the rifle that you have confidence in,and is best suited to your typical shooting-your preferences seem to be for a light sporter-absolutely fine-you typically only get one shot!

Good shooting

G

• 5 months later...

I have the Kimber Montana, I have a love hate relationship with it! It is so light, it is amazing to hold and with the right ammo it is extremely accurate. And that is where my hate piece comes in, I have found that with the lighter weight ammo 70-75g it will clover leaf, 90 95 grain sub inch 100 grains forget it. The other piece is that it is an extremely light weight barrel and will heat up quickly 6-8 rounds and you will need a breather.

I am still searching for the perfect factory ammo, 90g sakos are the current round of choice but am planning to start reloading to try to work up my own loads as I would love to be able to achieve what I can achieve with the 75g rounds with a heavier weight bullet 90-95g.

Archived