"bloody magpies!!"

foxing2night

hi gents,

well i have been after a couple of magpies for a few weeks now and they were proving a bit hard to get to say the least??? ;)

so i got the camo net of my mate jayfoxing and parked up in the landrover and put the net around the windows and myself and the farmer sat in wait for the buggers, next to a silage pit on the farm???

these two magpies have been working the hedges, one on the top of the hedge and one going along the bottom??? and they had wiped out all the nest,s in the hedge, now this hedge is in front of the farm and his wife enjoyed whaching all the little birds coming and going??

so boy,s the presure was on me to get the buggers???, we had only been there for a couple of mins when the first victim came along,,,, a big fat crow,,, my browning buckmark zeroed in on him,, fifty yards and splat,,,,

then the first magpie came along, landed in the same place, same distance, splat, one gone,,

then crow after crow all taken in the same place on top of the tires on the pit, anyway i got out and quikly put the first magpie on top of a post as a decoy???

you guessed it his mate came to have a look???, not much time on this one as he was a bit jumpy?? , splat, number two???

what a good hour and half that was just by putting jays net around the windows of the landrover ;);) , the only problem was that the farmer did not want me to go ontop of the sillage pit to retrieve all of the crows,, that which promotes growth and vigour would of made a good photo, did get a couple of pic,s ??though

29-05-07_2030.jpg

29-05-07_2031.jpg

Nice one darrel ;) Always good to thin the magpies down to give the songbirds a bit more of a chance!!!

All the best my mate................

RAY............................. ;) ;)

Be very carefull!!!!!, these maggies are devious B$%^^ds. I was returning down the motorway from pricing a job up and doing 65 - 70, cars behind.

A magpie flew down onto the middle lane to snack on a dead rabbit, realised we were coming and tried to fly back the way it came ( couldnt stand on the brakes, cars behind) so eased off the loud pedal, this must have enraged the magpie as he very slyly and inconsiderately reversed through my rad grille arse first, breaking the gille. This new costs over a hundred quid, so they know what they are doing.

I stopped after getting off the motorway and its head was sticking out of the grille like a mascot, devil of a job to get it out, and it was at least dead ( a real martyr to the magpie cause) and the actual radiator was ok.

Luckily Ebay provided a s/h one for a total cost of £ 27 quid including getting it and feeding the wife in a Little Chef on the way back ( her car and her driving), so they havent bankrupted me yet. ;)

Redfox

Be very carefull!!!!!, these maggies are devious B$%^^ds. I was returning down the motorway from pricing a job up and doing 65 - 70, cars behind.

A magpie flew down onto the middle lane to snack on a dead rabbit, realised we were coming and tried to fly back the way it came ( couldnt stand on the brakes, cars behind) so eased off the loud pedal, this must have enraged the magpie as he very slyly and inconsiderately reversed through my rad grille arse first, breaking the gille. This new costs over a hundred quid, so they know what they are doing.

I stopped after getting off the motorway and its head was sticking out of the grille like a mascot, devil of a job to get it out, and it was at least dead ( a real martyr to the magpie cause) and the actual radiator was ok.

Luckily Ebay provided a s/h one for a total cost of £ 27 quid including getting it and feeding the wife in a Little Chef on the way back ( her car and her driving), so they havent bankrupted me yet. ;)

Redfox

Well redfox that is one way of getting them ;);) but i think that i will stick to my gun as it is a bit cheaper ;);)

ray, we never had a lot of little birds on the farm at one time????

then we started shooting all the magpies that we could and now it is nice to hear them singing ;)

ray, we never had a lot of little birds on the farm at one time????

then we started shooting all the magpies that we could and now it is nice to hear them singing wink.gif

Well darrel if you got that many birds on that farm - i better come come up and see for myself ;) ;) ;) ;)

All the best...........

RAY....................... ;) ;)

Saw 2 today but the cowardly buggers would not sit and let me check the rifle.

They are scarce here and I only get 5-6 each year, of course blotting them for many years hasn`t given them a chance to build up.

My 07 total for Carrions is still 103 so far.

Archived