New field kit.

247sniper

Here you go guys. May not interest some people but anyone who likes to shoot long range will surely. Would obviously work better and be easier demonstrated it's advantages in windy conditions but, it's the slow silent winds that catches us all out.

Hope it was off use and helpful to you?

Steve.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x9sam8s4aZQ

Thanks,Steve...the sneaky wind changes are easily missed,and this is more accurate than a wisp of silk ribbon attached to the rifle/scope.

The big problem(what is the wind doing way out there?) is under attack,with wind sensors that can transmit radio signals back to your base 'kestrel'.

So the only issue left is placing these transmitters in the right places,the more the better;the average cost is likely to be well under the £10,500 for the latest NV kit.

:-)

this is more accurate than a wisp of silk ribbon attached to the rifle/scope.

Not sure I agree. This is a great set up for initial wind and 'flagging' that something has changed - but, when prone and shooting, there's no quantification of the change - it's directional only.

For something pocketable and easy to deploy in the field that gives visual quantification of the crosswind component.............If you place a peg in front of you with a dangling 'something' then your view from immediately aft of it shows only the lateral wind component (ie it matters naught whether it's pointing towards or away from you, it only matters how much left or right it is when viewed from the rear) - the crosswind vector is what you're looking for; always shoot on the same degree of left or right deflection that matches the wind you've set for - and hold fire when the condition is not at that deflection - and you'll see an improvement.

Thanks,Steve...the sneaky wind changes are easily missed,and this is more accurate than a wisp of silk ribbon attached to the rifle/scope.

The big problem(what is the wind doing way out there?)

Yes this is very true, but if you can at least get the wind call right at you firing position it is better then being of with both near and far wind calls.

However, likes of last night when I was shooting I used a combination of wind meter and vane ( near wind call) with grass and mirrarge out to the target to determine far wind calls.

Shooting a 6 inch gong at 500 yards 10 for 10 with no problem .

Steve

Ding ,dong,Steve....nice work.

"of course" you might have been just as good without the rig....the control condition is seldom done!

I really had in mind more relatively long range shooting....you don't get podiums in 1000y Br unless you can shoot pretty close to 1/2 moa...not that gee whizz technology is likely to be allowed there-any time soon,it's 'flags only".

Matt,my point was that the vane is rather steadier than the fluttering silk,though I think the silk ribbon is cost effective and minimalist logistically.Do we disagree-or were my/your use of 'this ' ambiguous?

If we want 'vectors' (ie how much wind in mph and from which direction ) the vane gives the direction (and some are enhanced by incorporating a clockface scale but the kestrel gives the speed. From a fixed set up,the vane has advantages.If more 'impromptue' then the ribbon is helpful,despite it's humble low tech spec( use cammo not dayglow if stalking).

As ever,just what kind of shooting,and the specific context,will be relevant to best kit deployment,sir.

Of course on duller days,dayglo may have an edge-how is that theory looking,wrt high/low zero shots,by the way?

Thanks for the video Steve that's a nice bit of kit and I might invest in one. I use cheep wood kebab skewers with bent straws on them to find the wind direction down range.

Thanks for the video Steve that's a nice bit of kit and I might invest in one. I use cheep wood kebab skewers with bent straws on them to find the wind direction down range.

better then nothing old chap, butt won't tell you wind speed etc and not as accurate I bet . Go on get one, treat yourself

If we want 'vectors' (ie how much wind in mph and from which direction ) the vane gives the direction (and some are enhanced by incorporating a clockface scale but the kestrel gives the speed. From a fixed set up,the vane has advantages.If more 'impromptue' then the ribbon is helpful,despite it's humble low tech spec( use cammo not dayglow if stalking).

A wind diagonal to the gun-target line will be composed of two vector component winds; we only need to know the crosswind vector (ie, the element 90degrees to the line GT). Read up on runway crosswind vector calculation for private pilots (google will find it) :)

Archived