DSP-83 Who to use in the USA?

Major Disorder

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good exporter who can process DSP-83s? I've seen various companies who handle the process and charge anything from 5% of the invoice total to $400 / rifle. Ideally it would be a company which is just a forwarder and doesn't insist your purchase product from them.

I'm looking at importing a lot of various components along with some ready built rifles, any recommendations for a company experienced in this?

I've got the UK import license side of things under control with the ILB, just could do with a pointer on the other side of the pond :)

MD

I have had good results using ETSS. http://etssincusa.com/ pretty painless once you have the format of the letter appointing them as your agent (can be done in one hit with the necessary kit you want to export)

Cost of the permit is $250 pretty much regardless of what you put on it. It is all electronic now with the company handling the export permit having to register (at a yearly fee) with the US government.

Additional costs vary, as you say a % of the invoice values on a sliding scale. I used FEDEX for the actually shipping last time I did anything into Stansted, small fees to extract at this end.

Interesting you mention a DSP-83, I've never used or had to use this form, but then again I was not trying to export anything related to military kit.

Bottom line, once you do everything correctly and pay your relevant costs/taxes allow £/$ in you budget.

Good luck.

Brgds Terry

Rules have changed recently and most FFL's will not just act as an intermediary anymore, they usually now have to be the manufacturer or seller to allow them to process the application, the DSP 83 needs to be completed by both the supplier and the end user (you) I suggest you may have to consider having the FFL purchase the items to sell to you otherwise I suspect they will not play ball.

5% is the average fee and some companies charge a min of $400-$500.

We import a lot of ITAR items which now are licensed by our agent/representative, the other thing to consider is the actual manufacturer of the item has to be Already registered with the state dept to permit a state dept licence application.

The other issue now is the shipping, most companies will refuse to take anything that is firearms related.

If you get stuck you can contact me at our parent company PBS International freight Ltd, my number is 01293 606901.

Terry, a DSP 83 now has to be completed for any items that require an export licence, Military or non.

Hope this helps

Gary

Archived