260 rem action length

A question for the riflesmiths if I may.

For a 260 remington repeater, that I intend to use 140s (probably berger hybrids) would I be better going for a long action, so as not to compromise the case when seating ( as a result of being limited by magazine length - would probably be using a higed floor plate)?

Or is a short action length absolutely fine?

Many thanks.

Maltbuck.

I have 2 x 260 Rem.

This one has a Wyatt's box fitted - http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/gallery/member-galleries/p2948-remington-700-sa-in-260-rem.html

and is my preferred rifle at the minute for shooting 140 A-Max at paper.

The one below is for sale and has a std 2.8 inch magazine. It has been chambered for 123 gr A-Max.

I think a short action with a Wyatt's box the way to go.

http://wyattsoutdoor.com/product_info.php/cPath/1/products_id/35

Regards

JCS

It depends on the bullet type. I get away with sierra bullets at mag length, but you would struggle with vld,s etc.

Several options.

Go for an action that accepts AW mags [longer inside ] or go long action.

The other alternative is to go 6.5 creedmoor. It was designed to run a 140 grain bullet from a short action magazine and in reality, gives nothing up to the .260.

It depends on the bullet type. I get away with sierra bullets at mag length, but you would struggle with vld,s etc.

Several options.

Go for an action that accepts AW mags [longer inside ] or go long action.

The other alternative is to go 6.5 creedmoor. It was designed to run a 140 grain bullet from a short action magazine and in reality, gives nothing up to the .260.

As always, good advice from Dave. I had an ex-police P-H M87 whose (Mauser '98) action and magazines had been dictated by the provision of a .300 Win Mag variant, so .260 Rem 'throated long' seemed a great idea, 140 Sierra MKs loaded to somewhat in excess of 3-inches. In practice it didn't do anything that my current 260 in a short action can't do almost as well, and frankly the modern 123s are such efficient bullets, 140s only make sense if you use the more ballistically efficient types such as VLDs which as Dave points out really do need COALs that won't fit a short action.

I ended up with a box of my long 140 loads powered by Viht N160 remaining after the rifle went, and with some trepidation I seated the bullets a LOT deeper (with much felt and heard crunching of powder kernels) to suit the chamber on my current S.A. 260 whose throat was cut for 120-130gn models. To my surprise, they shot almost as well in this rifle despite no specific load development for it and without any noticeable pressure issues.

With 20/20 hindsight vision, it now seems obvious to me at any rate that if you go down the L.A. / long mag route, choose 6.5X55mm or 6.5-284. Even at mild loadings and pressures, you'll likely get better performance and precision than with 260 Long-Throat.

I'm just starting to play with a 6.5 Creedmoor, Dave's other suggestion, and will be able to compare it against 6.5X47L and .260 Rem in due course. With an 'industry standard' reamer from PT&G, ie very close to factory rifle throating, it looks like it'll be well suited to both the 123s and 140gn class bullets. One of my objectives is to see if it'll really perform well with a range of 140gn bullets. Right now, it looks hopeful, but we'll see - initial results with 123s are excellent. I reckon this cartridge should be a winner - and in the US it's been a huge success - but hardly anybody knows much about it here yet.

Thank you for the the replies, particularly Dave and Laurie.

It looks like I will need to find out a little more about the 6.5 creedmore. Certainly sounds like a good prospect, using either 140's or 123's ( which I would be comparing it against the 6.5x47 for the 123's).

Who makes the brass? Is it just Hornady / Nosler, or are Lapua / Norma actually making it for them?

The 47 already has a fair bit of reloading info, in regards to powder / primer combos any partic thoughts on the creedmore?

Many thanks once again.

MB

MB

I'm on my fourth 260 Rem and fifth barrel since 1999. I think it takes a lot of beating - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12296998/Midge%20hell/140%20A-Max%20trial%20at%20400yds.jpg

This is an interesting view on what works in one particular scenario

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/09/07/rifle-cartridges-what-the-pros-use/

I now have two rifles with the Wyatt's Extended Magazine Box fitted and I think that makes my life a lot easier in terms of OAL. One of these rifles might morph into a 6.5 x 47 Lapua in years to come.

260 Rem, 6.5 x 47 Lapua and 6.5 Creedmoor all shoot well, but I'm swayed by calibres that have quality brass available.

Regards

JCS

Alternatively make a dummy round to the length you want with the bullet you want and get your gunsmith to chanber the barrel to the required COL.... that way you wont have to worry about not getting the bullet seated to the lands, or having a 200thou jump etc.

It looks like I will need to find out a little more about the 6.5 creedmore. Certainly sounds like a good prospect, using either 140's or 123's ( which I would be comparing it against the 6.5x47 for the 123's).

Who makes the brass? Is it just Hornady / Nosler, or are Lapua / Norma actually making it for them?

The 47 already has a fair bit of reloading info, in regards to powder / primer combos any partic thoughts on the creedmore?

Many thanks once again.

MB

Only Hornady brass is currently available for the Creedmoor, but Winchester and Norma both said they were adopting the cartridge earlier this year. Hornady makes its own cases these days, and they're generally good except they usually have very large weight variations needing batching into two distinct weight groupings.

.22-250 brass can also be used by necking it up and fireforming it in the Creedmoor chamber with a jammed bullet. It provides quite usable cases although te result is shorter than the Creedmoor's 'trim-to' length and the case initially has a short neck. Since Lapua makes (truly superb) 22-250 brass, that supplies a source for strong and consistent cases. No doubt, any of the 308 Win family could be reformed without too much effort and a bit of annnealing, but the only benefit I see in that would be the small primer 'Palma' option. (Down under, Palma 308 has become very popular in reformed 260 Rem and 7mm-08 Rem usage.)

So far as powders go, what works in 260 and the '47 also works in the Creedmoor, so N150, 550 and similar with 123s, 4831, N160 and similar with 140s. The American 'Go-To' powder is H4350, but there isn't exactly much of it around right now or likely to be in the near future. (Capacity -wise, its case falls between the other two, but is closer to the 260 Rem.)

Many thanks once again.

MB

MB:google this for detailed comparisons:

6.5 shootout;260 rem v 6.5x47 lapua v 6.5 creedmore

Gbal

Archived