Musgrave Target rifle

Guest varmartin

Guest varmartin

Hi guys....

If any of you out there can give me some info on this rifle it will be most appreciated.

I have just purchased it from a dealer, and am informed it is in as new condition.

I will be using it for long range target shooting and feel it may well be up to the task.

what do you all know ???

0803181842080111go3.jpg

0803181842080112ck1.jpg

Hi guys....

If any of you out there can give me some info on this rifle it will be most appreciated.

I have just purchased it from a dealer, and am informed it is in as new condition.

I will be using it for long range target shooting and feel it may well be up to the task.

what do you all know ???

Nice looking Musgrave mate..What do you want to know? We'd built a musgrave f-class rifle or two at Border, chambered in 6.5 x 284.. Good actions, and mcmillan should have the inlets for them too..If you need parts, give HPS Ltd a call..

JR

Guest varmartin

Hi JR, thanks for the info.

The main thing I want to know is...will the action take the pressures of a 308 loaded hot ?

I am looking to push a 155 scenar @2900 ish :lol:

As you are aware 7.62 `s have a lower max pressure compared to 308 `s according to the reloading data that I have trooled thru.

Guest varmartin

Just an update for those that are interested...

The rifle has been given a once over now and I have found it to be in as new condition looking much like it has never been fired.

Silent and my self have stripped and cleaned it and loaded 50 rounds of 155 scenars over 44grns Varget to test it with.

I have also rubbed some `true oil` into the stock as it was in need of nourishment.

If the weather is good on Sat we will know if it shoots or not. :)

A range report will follow...good or bad. :lol:

dscf0555wl8.jpg

dscf0558xa7.jpg

dscf0556xg0.jpg

kinda looks like the one that I emailed the guy two days ago and said I will have it as long as the barrel is heavy format :)

guess he aint an honest guy but thats not your fault..oh well will look for another

You shouldn't have told him you were interested in it pard, but once he gets it shooting you will probably take him out and get him a deer with it :lol:

Guest varmartin

Hi 308....

It has an accessory rail on the underside of the stock with screw threads ( 5 in total )

So I removed it , relieved the wood and fitted a sling swivel stud.....easy as pie. !

Cant wait to get out and shoot her.

Who knows `Silent` may even take me out and stalk a Roe Buck......as there are still a few about that are not educated.. :)

Hey buddy that looks really nice!!!! :):lol:

Shall look forward to hear / watch how she shoots!!!!!

All the best.................

RAY.............................. ;) ;)

Guest varmartin

I have always been a bit `308 shy` as I was of the understanding that there are far superior cartridges out there !!

Well , things have changed a little since shooting a good 308 from Silents stable :lol: .

I still think there are some super rounds out there like 6mmBR, 6mm ppc ,6.5x47, 6-6.5x 47, hot 7mm`s etc.

The thing is the more I read and shot 308`s the more I wanted one so....... I got me one.

I think every one should get one...cos you never know whats round the corner :)

Guest varmartin
Hey buddy that looks really nice!!!! :):lol:

Shall look forward to hear / watch how she shoots!!!!!

All the best.................

RAY.............................. ;) ;)

Me and J are hoping to get out tomorrow if you are interested ?

Looks great Martin. Hope she shoots well for you tomorrrow.

If you like those scenars you can always try 43.5gns of Vit N150 under them, very consistent indeed.

By the way have you and Jamie tried out that .308 and .223 tracer I gave you?

Cheers

Dave

Guest varmartin
Looks great Martin. Hope she shoots well for you tomorrrow.

If you like those scenars you can always try 43.5gns of Vit N150 under them, very consistent indeed.

By the way have you and Jamie tried out that .308 and .223 tracer I gave you?

Cheers

Dave

43.5 grains of Vit 150..... ;) ...2650 fps ?? I keep hearing that velocity is the holy grail....

ps. not tried them yet, waiting for that special occasion if you catch my drift ;)

Guest varmartin

Well today was the chosen day to test the loads and see if this Musgrave can cut the mustard ...so to speak.

Silent, Varminter and I all went to our local 200 yard test facility and set up a target at 100 yards, it was drizzling and not very comfortable but WTF....

I bore sighted her and made sure all the base and mount screws were nice and snug.

Sat at Jamie`s bench and loaded the first round and squeezed the trigger.....boooommm..... and a shower of rain drops fell from the Golf umbrella that was providing cover from the rain.

That first shot landed 4 inches high and 2 inches right....not bad I thought. I inspected the case for signs of pressure and any other issues, all looks good.

I adjusted the scope and fired another, this one is now near the bull so I set about testing the load and fired a few groups making small adjustments on the way.

Silent and Varminter both fired a couple of groups and things were definitely looking good.

A few ragged groups of around 1/2 inch maybe a bit bigger seemed to be the norm from all of us.

The targets were getting wet through and not lasting long in the rain either but we continued as we had 50 rounds to test.

Now was the time to test this baby at 200 and see what she can do.....

We moved to the 200 yard point ,set up on the bench and I prepared to fire 5 rounds and do my best.

six clicks / 1.5 MOA elevation, and 1 MOA for wind should do it .

The first group was looking awesome considering the wind, so I set about firing the last 5 rounds.

Trying my hardest with those two buggers behind you is a good test, Varminters mind was set on his date tonight with a young lady and Silent was showing ray a few new video clips he had on his mobile, .....say no more. :P

Time for that last 5 shot group.....It went well and the group looked good so we set off back to the target to take a look see.

Its a crap pic from my phone as it was pissing down ...but here it is.

To say I am pleased is an under statement.....

Thanks to the boys for some company and to Silent for loading 50 rounds for me as I am awaiting some Dies.

19042008142kc2.jpg

remind me what makes that load?????? :P

that load will serve you well, be very consistant from day to day, allways shoot tight and you will never have to worry how close to the lands you are :lol:

good shooting buddy and that group measures just 0.389" c/c in the pissing rain and wind at 200 yards x five shots

what more can one ask for???????

Phenomenal group, especially with two pair of eyes staring at your rear :P

Archived