Is this load to hot?

Cushty mush

Evening all

I have started home loading my 223/ for a couple of months now

with what I fought was 23.5 grain with 55g heads

But when I went to my local gun shop and weighed the powder in the bullet

(It was just over 26grain) cronode at 3450 ,

The load is very accurate and there does isn't seen to be any problems

But all the same a don't won't to burn my barrel out?

I'd just like to hear the more experienced loaders veiws ???

Cheers cm

Can I ask what made you think it was 23.5 grains?

One absolute essential for home loading is an accurate set of scales......and a reliable set of data for the powder you use with the bullet weight,so that you do not exceed the maximum loads...but you should know what weight of powder is being loaded-here it seems you didn't.....???

I'd say 3450fps is more than 200fps overloaded,as 55g to SAAMI specifications is 3240fps,so you have a fairly seriously over pressured load......

Got the full lee set up off my local rifle shop

Presumed the scales was set up,

Was told by a friend that it as to be set up

(That small scruw on the spring underneath )

Would this be correct?

Yes it has to be zerod . What did your primer edges look like- flat or normal ?

This is for me the second indication of H pressure , primer cratering the first but cratering is ok .

You will find an accuracy node that's just as accurate but with a safer amount of powder.

Zero your scales properly, don't just push the slider all the way to the right, make sure it's reading zero as it does go beyond zero which will add a grain or two. Or better still buy a decent set as the Lee ones are functional but not easy to read.

Then work a load up from about 23gn until you find an accuracy node.

Post a picture of close up fired primer still in the case - if your able?

You really need to check your scale's are calibrated correctly, this should be one if not the 1st thing to do before weighing out powder changes. If you don't have any calibration weights then use a bullet or 2. I always keep 1 bullet with my scale's and check throughout my loads now and again.

As others are saying,it's too hot,but there will be another accuracy node within safer powder loads.The practical difference in performance over 300y or so is very slight,and you will certainly be giving your barrel less punishment-at the limits of hot/damaging a little more heat can mean quite a lot more damage.

Just not worth it for most shooting.Let alone sensible safety issues.The popular 'pressure signs' are not the whole picture ,either.Of course if they are there,back off...but it's possible to have high pressure without the 'obvious' signs being obvious...

The popular 'pressure signs' are not the whole picture ,either.Of course if they are there,back off...but it's possible to have high pressure without the 'obvious' signs being obvious...

And to add confusion, you can to have pressure signs without being over pressure. E.G Remington rifles sometimes have a generous firing pin hole. This leads to cratering well below max safe load. I had one 204 that cratered with every round fired, factory or hand load.

Without wanting to lecture, that was a big error in powder charge. Do you have a mentor to give you hand? You only have one set of eyes etc, and slow steps are better than a fast run to A&E.

ATB

PS I would get some check weights and use them before you start pouring powder, every time you re-load.

Archived