What a stupid mistake AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH

kip270

Went out tonight with Dan(my son) on some old ground that i started shooting on over 30 years ago with the air-rifle, and now the Farmer is having problems with Foxes taking his lambs, and Crows in the daytime, so i have been called upon to help deal with the problem.

Tonight was the first chance i have had to get out lamping due to working nights the last two weeks!!!!!

My mate had been up there a few days ago lamping but didn't spot anything at all, so i wasn't too hopefull in spotting anything myself, but if i'm not out there i'll never know :D

I was the rifle-man tonight and Dan the lampman, we got into the first field and scanned around, a few bunnies but nothing else, so slowly we made our way along a small wood scanning as we went, but only sheep and a few bunnies, then as we came to the end of the wood we could scan further afield, and acroos a country lane onto more of my permission, bordering a large wood. Dan scanned the field and then up to the wood "BLING" there was a fox, but it was running as soon as the lamp hit it, i tried calling but it wasn't having any of it. I got out my rangefinder and pinged the tree line 508 yards spotted with the lightforce Blitz240, but no way would i of taken the shot.

Well at least we spotted one so a few early mornings and late evenings along the edge of the wood are in the pipeline.

Carrying on we then came to a field with rushes in and they were about 2-3ft tall, Dan flicked the lamp on and at the end of the field was another Fox, so i got out the WAM call and started to call, the Fox started to come straight away, but was coming down hill into a small gully and we lost sight of it, i kept calling and Dan kept scanning the field. We we waiting for it to pop up over the brow, but nothing??? so Dan kept scanning and i kept calling, still nothing, so we got over the fence and slowly started to stalk closer, Dan scanning all the time in case the Fox was trying to put the sneak on us.

Then in the rushes to our left Dan spotted it, but on my Varmint sticks i couldn't see it through the rushes :D , it kept walking and then Dan squeaked, the Fox stopped at around 100 yards broadside, i got down and placed the cross-hairs on it's chest, steadied my aim and squeezed, nothing happend :lol: , i squeezed again, but nothing.

I had forgot to take off the safety catch :lol: so i took off the safety and the Fox was off, Dan stopped it again but because of the rushes i couldn't see it!!!!! It then made off and we lost sight of it.

I am still annoyed with myself(and will be for days), we needed to get this Fox as the Farmer is desperate for us to get them.

Such a simple mistake and one i do not intend on repeating, if there has ever been such a text book Fox to be taken this was it, standing BROADSIDE at 100 yards with a good solid backstop, i couldn't ask for more..........(not looking forward to telling the Farmer or my mate :lol: )

Have any of you been in a similar situation :D

I have done exactly the same thing...several times :D

Yep it is annoying, with me the feeling is almost as bad as a miss &

seems to linger for days. I was out for a couple of hours before daybreak,

saw a fox but it ran as soon as the light touched it, didn`t stop even when it got to the wood

just straight in.

If the farmer asks you didn't see any foxes that night :D

Have one I need to get as well, followed him quite a ways twice the same night, same fox as I know his path. Like your rushes each time I was standing I could see him but get down on the bipod and there is always a slight rise between him and me. I did have an oppertunity at one stage, but it was 314 yards and I've not shot that far before. I was tempted though, had the crosshairs on him and the safety off! Pretty sure I'd have killed him as I was using Hornady Vmax 40 grain bullets zeroed for 200, 5.5 inch drop to 300 and there was absolutely no wind but I didn't feel like it was a fair shot to take since I'd not punched paper at that range.

There'll always be another night, like the old saying he's got to be lucky everytime while you've only got to be lucky once.

Kip there is always something that can go wrong,

Yesterday eve I was on a ditch did one or two very quiet squeaks

and the bloody fox was standing next to me, not even 5 yds and downwind.

Didn't expect him to come from there. Another beginners mistake.

edi

We all do it pard :D even those that don't think they have ever missed, they are just lying to themselves :D Hell if I had a quid for every miss or made a mistake on i'd buy a new rifle :lol: thinking about it I'd probably get two and have change :lol::D:lol:

Guest wireviz

While you made a basic error Kip all is not lost now if it were me i would have taken a bungee fox with me just in case .It eases the farmers mind and buys you some more time also shoot all the rabbits and any thing else that shows around the place leave them lying about the fox will always go for easy food . Walk round the lambing park and have a few pisses etc .It works a treat then if that fails go out just before first light and sit back two hundred or so yards and take him when the light comes in. :D ps ill bet you feel a right dick :lol:

Guest varmartin

" that which promotes growth and vigour...Freckin safety is still on" has got to be one of the most widely used statements in the field...

Been there done it....if you don`t want it to happen again don`t put the safety on in the first place,

Its safer to chamber a round quietly any way...IMHO....which counts for squat. :D

easy mistake I'm sure we've all done it, I certainly have. ;)

The fox is no wiser so no harm done and the chance will probably come again.

Mention it to the farmer if you have to but blame lack of safe backstop or his animals blocking the shot for not having a go :(

Proves you've been trying to help and shows a sensible approach.

Hi Kip

Your not alone mate, many many years ago ( only about 4-5, but don't tell Vim ) I was sitting out one afternoon overlooking a large valley with my 6mm/284, when I saw two foxes come out into the middle ground of the valley, about 200 yards, and proceed to try and mate.

Without a care in the world they were just playing around, rolling around, so I figured I had all the time in the world, so I got them in the scope and just tracked their every move waiting for the shot of a lifetime --- a double ;):(:(:huh: knowing the 6mm/284 had enough to do the job :(

Well after about 15 minutes the shot presented its self, I squeezed and F*6k me the safety was on, I was so wrapped up in the moment I blew the chance of a lifetime, well after that the dog fox had it and I don't mean with the vixen :P

I know you should always try to take the vixen first out of a pair but I thought after that she deserved a break <_<

I hate telling that tale but thought i'd make you feel better Kip and give everyone else a laugh :P:P

Cheers Steve

Guest varmartin

We are no longer fortunate to be able to use semi auto`s, ( part from .22 rimfires ) So I am envious of you Pat. ;)

I do know what you mean though and totally agree, the sound of that bolt slamming home must be awesome....but noisy .

I have never experienced a hang fire nor do I wish too, I would probably fill my britches... ;):P

Archived