A-Tec maxim or Hardey Gen 4

Hello all thinking about a new mod on my 25-06 and want a lightweight.

Just wondered what's everyone's opinions on the A Tec maxim or the Hardy Gen 4 don't think there's much in weight was hoping someone might have 1st hand experience with both and how they compared? Any input would be greatly received

I have two Maxims mate. One, 4 baffle on my .243 and a 6 baffle on my 7mm SAUM.

I would highly recommend them as very well made mod that gives one of the best combinations of weight and sound reduction in a compact package.

I have no personal experience of the Hardy but a mate of mine who does says his Maxim has the edge.

They're both moderators, stop your ears ringing, thats all. Not really sure which one i'd keep. Bought the hardy because of weight and overhang, got the maxim just to try instead of having a thread change on a jetz. Thread seems better on the hardy, even though its in aluminium, maxim is a bit annoying that the sections come apart when unscrewing, need to locktite it together. Each suits the rifle its on, one is m14, the other m18. Hardy internal clearance is tighter than a third eye spartan, it just touches the barrel on my tac 30, but thats my mistake. Didnt deal with riflecraft myself so cant comment, have dealt with jacksons for years, cant fault their customer service.

Maxim is in 6.5, hardy in .30, if your worried about matching calibre, but im not. Somedays they sound quieter than others.

Choice is yours.

Shame they wrote riflcraft all over the hardy, would have rather saved the manufacturing cost on that.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a hardy on my 308 , bought it for the same reasons as "offroad gary", lightweight, over barrel design . Sound suppression is ok ,and tames the recoil a bit .My buddy's were as excited about its arrival as I was and though they didn't say , I don't think they were too impressed.

The muzzle brake part , I think can interfere with your sight picture with the gases .Either that or the flinch is getting worse!!

overall 6.5 /10

I have had an old atec too ,a steal one very average, but not the maxim so can't comment.

I still have my old T8 reflex and apart from the weight issue, it still ticks all the boxes by comparison. 8.5/10

The Jet-z too if you can live with the extra weight and lenght is a great suppressor.

A few friend have recently changed to HAUSKEN suppressors , like the atec they are norweign. I think they have been in the business for some time.They do an over barrel design that is a similar in weight to the atec's and hardy's.

The reports are very favorable but I have yet to see one in the flesh the only thing I noticed online was that the diameter is about 10 mm wider ( @ 50mm) than the other two. These might be worth a look and I think price wise they are similar.

A few friend have recently changed to HAUSKEN suppressors , like the atec they are norweign. I think they have been in the business for some time.They do an over barrel design that is a similar in weight to the atec's and hardy's.

The reports are very favorable but I have yet to see one in the flesh the only thing I noticed online was that the diameter is about 10 mm wider ( @ 50mm) than the other two. These might be worth a look and I think price wise they are similar.

The HAUSKEN range of suppressors are second to none. Almost any variation of length, weight, calibre and colour available. The manafacturer has been in business for a long time and HAUSKEN is the main competitor to A tec over here. I have a SD 228 on my 17 Rem that I am very happy with.

I have seen and heard a great many moderators during my time as an RCO and while 'testing' guys before starting a stalk and there isn't a great deal of difference in attenuation between them all.

Each has it's merits reference weight, size and looks !

So my advice would be to go for one of the mainstream models that looks good on your rifle, is light and affordable.

There is talk of gas cutting on the alloy models but I have found that all the alloy mods I have seen have steel inserts so the fact the main body is made of alloy has no detrimental affect to it at all.

I have a four module A-Tec which I use on my .222 and .243 and a six module A-Tec for use on my .308 and 30-06.

I also have a Wildcat steel moderator with inter-changeable sections for use on either of my rifles, needless to say that doesn't get used very often.

I also have an A-TEC CMM4 .30 bore with a thread of 14x1 which fits neither of my rifles, so can be found in the For Sale thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have seen and heard a great many moderators during my time as an RCO and while 'testing' guys before starting a stalk and there isn't a great deal of difference in attenuation between them all.

Each has it's merits reference weight, size and looks !

So my advice would be to go for one of the mainstream models that looks good on your rifle, is light and affordable.

There is talk of gas cutting on the alloy models but I have found that all the alloy mods I have seen have steel inserts so the fact the main body is made of alloy has no detrimental affect to it at all.

I have a four module A-Tec which I use on my .222 and .243 and a six module A-Tec for use on my .308 and 30-06.

I also have a Wildcat steel moderator with inter-changeable sections for use on either of my rifles, needless to say that doesn't get used very often.

I also have an A-TEC CMM4 .30 bore with a thread of 14x1 which fits neither of my rifles, so can be found in the For Sale thread.

Would you be selling your wildcat by any chance and if so ,ideally I'm looking for an m18 thread

Would you be selling your wildcat by any chance and if so ,ideally I'm looking for an m18 thread

I would be willing to sell my wildcat but the two thread sections I have are 15x1 spigot and 1/2 x 20 unf so no good to you I'm afraid.

I've seen and heard two Hardey's now and I'm not that impressed. I have a A-tec CMM-4 on my 25-06, ain't the quietest but stops my ears from ringing and is small and light (foot stalking rifle).

I'm just about to order a Aim Sport compact for my 260 stalking rifle.

Archived