Accubond perfromance

Shot two red deer yesterday with the new load from the 7mm-08.

Changed from Hornady 139 SSTs to Nosler 140 Accubonds after some spectacular blow-ups. The deer were going down but really messy inside and losing a lot of meat. The Accubonds are doing an av 2965 out of the T3 Lite but no signs of pressure and they're shooting under an inch.

The hind pictures was hit from behind and above from 220yds- aimed between the shoulder blades as she was about to disappear into the bush. Didn't want to ruin the back end..

You can probably see the bullet took out at least 4 vertebae to the side of the the spine and obviously the top of the lungs. I found it just under the skin at the labelled spot. Despite the mess, the backsteak on that side was still largely edible!

Chris P, New Zealand

Shot two red deer yesterday with the new load from the 7mm-08.

Changed from Hornady 139 SSTs to Nosler 140 Accubonds after some spectacular blow-ups. The deer were going down but really messy inside and losing a lot of meat. The Accubonds are doing an av 2965 out of the T3 Lite but no signs of pressure and they're shooting under an inch.

The hind pictures was hit from behind and above from 220yds- aimed between the shoulder blades as she was about to disappear into the bush. Didn't want to ruin the back end..

You can probably see the bullet took out at least 4 vertebae to the side of the the spine and obviously the top of the lungs. I found it just under the skin at the labelled spot. Despite the mess, the backsteak on that side was still largely edible!

Chris P, New Zealand

Hi Chris,Have you ever tried 140gr Partitions?I use 140gr partitions and 120gr vmax wouldn't use owt else

Karl

Hi Chris,Have you ever tried 140gr Partitions?I use 140gr partitions and 120gr vmax wouldn't use owt else

Karl

No, haven't tried them Karl, but only because of the Partition's reputation for being overly-tough (as in little expansion).

If I was stretching the 7-08 to wapiti (elk), I'd prob go that direction.

From the sample of two so far, the penetration seems fine. The other smaller one I shot with it was hit immediately behind the shoulder, clipped a rib on the way in and smashing the far leg before completely exiting. Basically a solid 1.5" wound channel with a 2" exit hole. Needless to say, it didn't take a step.

As for the 120 V-Maxs, I don't really need them as I have a .260 and .223 for "lighter" stuff.

Chris P

I use 140gr Partitions on all deer i shoot Roe,Red and Fallow usually on a boiler room shot exit is £2 coin size some people say its a bit much but i say deads dead and my 120gr vmax are for foxing and there like grenades when they hit foxes although last few times ive shot at foxes ive missed but we wont go there something to do with there bushy tails my mates say.

Regards,Karl.

Would never part with me 7mm08!!!!

Would never part with me 7mm08!!!!

Dead right, very efficient cartridge. More so than the .260 if you look at the energy/traj figures. I must admit that 129 Hornady's out of the .260 kill very well despite the modest vels. It's just that the SS Model 7 doesn't feel as nice to shoot as the T3 and the feeding's rough despite polishing the ramp, etc. Butter smooth feeding in the T3.

I was brought up on a .270 but it kills them no deader or faster than the 7-08 despite the larger bang and bite. Still have the old girl- BSA Monarch with Pecar 4x81 and despite its age (made 1973) and a fair bit of use, it still shoots well. Use it occasionally on wild goats- last session bowled over 30, including some bigger billies over 300yds. The action must weight twice as much as the T3.

Chris

140Gr Partitions, 43.5grVarget,magnum primers=2850fps

120Gr V-Max, 45grVarget,magnum primers=3050fps

Same point of aim at 100yards, I also loaded some 100Gr Hollowpoints with 47GrVarget,Mag primers=3100fps these were 10mm high at 100yrds nice bullet for Foxes.

Please use with caution,check pressures.

Karl.

Archived