Fox problems

varminter

Went out on one of the local farms recently to shoot some crows with me 6PPC, have not shot there for over a month , and when i got there the farmer told me he had lost 8 lambs to foxes and said he seen a few mooching about!!!

He said " where have you been boy " so i told him he should of phoned me straight away and hope he remembers this if he ever gets any more problems!!!!

Anyway i was going to concentrate on the bunnie and corvid control and leave the foxes till next winter but in this case he wanted them dealt with!!!!

With this in mind i thought i better deal with the situation with me 6PPC , so we set out on the 27/3/04 and not long after arrival we lamped the field behind the farmers house and the sheep was at one end of the field and the fox was waiting at the other , so we dealt with him......................DSCF3067.jpg

Then last night we went for a early evening bunny bash on another farm and i missed a 321yd bunnie :lol:;) ( needed more correction for angle of shot ) , then out came a 345yder and connected with that and then another at 282yds - so a nice start!!!

We then decided to go back to the same farm with the fox problem and bagged another!!!!.....................DSCF3080.jpg

Thanks to my good friend Chris for doing a great job of calling and lamp man!! ;) ;) .

All i hope now is, that it is the end of the problem for the farmer.................................

All the best .....................

RAY............................ :D;)

Nice going ray, famers amaze me like that, they have a problem, they have your number but they dont ring to tell you then wonder where you have been????????????????????????????????????????????? Those angle shots are tricky, everywhere I shoot is down into valleys, I always have to knock off a few clicks to compensate. The infamous 6ppc sako strutting her stuff as usual.

300 yard bunnies is not only pretentious but disrespectful to your quarry. who the hell can shoot such a small target at such a long range and be sure it will be dead? :lol:;)

Sorry you feel that way but all i can say is dont judge others by your standards!!!

When you have a rifle that can shoot half inch 200yd groups and the equipment to make 300yd hits plus , its gives you all the confidence you need!!!

Oh buy the way have seen what a 58 v-max does at 300yds plus!!!

Please dont give me any of that crap either - i have spent alot of time on targets to know what i personally can and cant do at range!!!!

Like i said you know your limits and i know mine -!!! ( you are more than welcome to come down and we can show how we can shoot a small target at range).....

Please don't take offense but i am fed up of others who dont shoot at range and judge others who do!!! ....................

I am not here to discuss morals, just to share experiences , knowledge and learn!!!

All the best.................

RAY................................ ;) ;)

300 yard bunnies is not only pretentious but disrespectful to your quarry. who the hell can shoot such a small target at such a long range and be sure it will be dead? :lol:;)

/quote]

At what range does it become respectful to shoot a rabbit then, Dave?

If you can't be sure of a clean kill at a particular distance, then don't shoot at it. But don't assume that everyone has the same ability and equipment as you..

Its not Daves fault!!!

He is obviously judging me without knowing my background!!!

When you have one of the most accurate calibers ( out to 300yds ) and have spent alot of the time at different ranges regularly over the years you know what you can and what you cant do in different conditions and at different ranges!!!!

Funny that really i used the same rifle (6PCC ) to get me 3rd place at a F-class match which was shot at 300/500 and 600yds!!!

Thankyou for the insight Dave and i am sorry if i have offended you in shooting pests at extended range!!!

All the best................

RAY............................. ;):lol:

Guest varmartin

Hi Dave...if I may quote the board moderators ...

This site was created for the express purpose of allowing like minded people to discuss the methods, equipment and techniques etc..... of Short and Long range Varminting and the hunting of other species without the hindrance of debating ethics or morality.

Even though we all have our own preconceived ideas of what we consider correct, what is ethically acceptable and know our limitations, WE DO NOT and WILL NOT TOLERATE discussion of ethics on this site.

We are here to enjoy ourselves, learn, share ideas and generally discuss our experiences in our chosen field of shooting sports.

Ian

On Behalf of The Administration Team.

Guest varmartin

Dave, If you would like to find out how these long range shots are achieved then please ask away as we are a very help full bunch of lads and some lasses.

When I first started shooting with a centre fire I was amazed at what they are capable of ( in the right hands with the right equipment and knowledge)

I started with air rifles then moved on to a .22lr. then stepped up to a .223 and so on.

Now I and others use a range of tools to make these long range shots possible, they include...

Laser range finders accurate to within a yard or two out to 1000 yards.

Wind meters.

Computer based Ballistics programs to work out bullet drop and windage in 1/4 MOA clicks or inches.

We spend hours punching paper at very long range including up and down hill shots and noting where the bullet impacts in relation to the angle of the shot .

We choose the highest BC bullets available and hand load our own ammo.

We spend £1000`s on scopes and obscene amounts on custom rifles that a rifle smith has put his sole into building.

All this so we CAN go out into the field and pick a target at long range and be as sure as is possible to be able to hit that target.

We do not use tools such as `Kentucky windage` or `best guess`at how far away a target appears to be.

Nor do we aim half way down the thick bit of the cross hairs because it looks like a `big rabbit`

If you need any help and would like to stretch the legs of your .243 and connect with the ones you would not normally take a shot at........ask away

Nice going Ray, glad to see you back in circulation and shooting a different bit of ginger for a change ;)

Have to agree with the other lads when it comes to long range shooting. A lot of effort goes into it, before you get to the field. As Varmartin says you got to get carefully made ammo which is tested and chronoed to get accurate ballistic tables. Then lots of practice in the field learning the effects on wind and angle of shot at targets before a shot is fired at a living creature. This is not a hope a see type of shooting :lol: but a very precise science where a lot of effort and understanding of rifle ballistics is put together to make that long range hit possible.

I have personally shot with these lads and fully respect their capabilities, they have passed on a great deal of knowledge to me and allowed me to be far more confident in increasing my varminting range.

So Dave K as the old saying goes " Don't knock it until you've tried it" why don't you take up Rays offer and maybe learn something new.

Just my pennies worth.

Dave

This is a typical drop chart for my 6mm BR, this is just an insight into the info you require to reach out and touch those varmints.

6mm BR 87 Vmax

Hornady, .243 dia. 87 gr. V-Max

MV: 2900 ft/s CH: 10 ft

WS: 10 mph TS: 10 mph

T: 59 °F PC: 29.92 in Hg H: 0% A: 0 ft

SH: 1.5 in SO: 0 in ZH: 0 in LOS: 0°

Range Drop Wind Lead

(yds) (in) (moa) (in) (moa) (in) (moa)

100 -0.0 -0.0 0.8 0.7 18.9 18.1

150 -1.0 -0.7 1.8 1.1 29.0 18.5

175 -2.0 -1.1 2.5 1.4 34.3 18.7

200 -3.4 -1.6 3.3 1.6 39.6 18.9

225 -5.1 -2.2 4.2 1.8 45.0 19.1

250 -7.2 -2.7 5.2 2.0 50.6 19.3

275 -9.7 -3.4 6.4 2.2 56.3 19.6

300 -12.6 -4.0 7.7 2.4 62.1 19.8

325 -15.9 -4.7 9.1 2.7 68.1 20.0

350 -19.7 -5.4 10.7 2.9 74.2 20.3

375 -24.0 -6.1 12.4 3.2 80.5 20.5

400 -28.7 -6.9 14.3 3.4 86.9 20.7

425 -34.0 -7.6 16.3 3.7 93.5 21.0

450 -39.9 -8.5 18.5 3.9 100.2 21.3

475 -46.3 -9.3 20.9 4.2 107.1 21.5

500 -53.3 -10.2 23.4 4.5 114.2 21.8

525 -61.0 -11.1 26.1 4.7 121.4 22.1

550 -69.3 -12.0 29.0 5.0 128.9 22.4

575 -78.4 -13.0 32.1 5.3 136.5 22.7

600 -88.2 -14.0 35.4 5.6 144.3 23.0

625 -98.8 -15.1 38.9 5.9 152.4 23.3

650 -110.2 -16.2 42.6 6.3 160.6 23.6

675 -122.5 -17.3 46.5 6.6 169.0 23.9

700 -135.6 -18.5 50.6 6.9 177.7 24.2

725 -149.8 -19.7 55.0 7.2 186.6 24.6

750 -165.0 -21.0 59.6 7.6 195.8 24.9

775 -181.2 -22.3 64.4 7.9 205.2 25.3

800 -198.6 -23.7 69.5 8.3 214.8 25.6

Cheers

Dave

Craigyboy / varmartin / 308 panther and 6mm BR ..............

Thanks for your replies and insight too ( always good to hear from you ;):D )..................

And 6mm BR , yes i am back in full swing because now i have stopped using my dig a ling!!!!!! :lol:;) .............

Now Dave K , Like i said you are always welcome to come to Cornwall for the upcoming varminting season and join in with the Cornish rednecks!!!!!!!!!!!

Its nice to share your hunting experiences with good friends on here , its not a pissing match or a boast - just making use of all the knowledge and practice we have learn t over the years!!!! , and guess what we are still forever learning and with the great bunch we have on here - we have a wealth of knowledge and experience!!!!!! ;) ;)

Heres some of the equipment we use / Leica BRF range finder / speedtec windmeter / ballistic data and some surveyors tape for instant wind indication.................DSCF1269.jpg

Like i said before , you are more welcome to come down for a visit!!! ( can you play banjo ;) ;) )................

All the best......................

RAY.......................................... :D;)

Please dont give me any of that crap either - i have spent alot of time on targets to know what i personally can and cant do at range!!!!

RAY................................ :D;)

chill out boys, :lol:

there are men on here that can shoot far far past 800mtrs, kill all day long at 400 to 600mtrs and there are some that think they can or try ..so im thinking along the lines of dave k here ..wounded rabbits aint nice is what he is thinking ..but you dont get any or many with a 6mm up them :rolleyes: nice going on the foxs but i think you have a few left to remove off that farm 4 more should do it ..

chill out boys, :lol:

there are men on here that can shoot far far past 800mtrs, kill all day long at 400 to 600mtrs and there are some that think they can or try ..so im thinking along the lines of dave k here ..wounded rabbits aint nice is what he is thinking ..but you dont get any or many with a 6mm up them :rolleyes: nice going on the foxs but i think you have a few left to remove off that farm 4 more should do it ..

Yep quite agree there buddy..........

No body wants that to happen................

All the very best.....................

RAY...................................... :D;)

Hi Ray,

Play nice now, I have had the pleasure of shooting with you and having spent the weekend with you understand you DO now your onions and can shoot.

I dont think Dave knows your ability and those of your Cornish cousins (duelling banjos again) as I must admit you are a very scary lot :lol:

Dave, these guys are the next best thing to computer geeks, strange but they really do and I mean really do know their stuff! if I can get time I most certainly would join them for a watch and learn weekend.

Just don't accept any sleeping arrangements :rolleyes:

PS Nice to see you active again Ray

PPS by the way I have two Leupold 6.5x25x50 long range varmint scopes coming for my 22.250 and my .308 any advice on setting them up

Hi ray,

And the rest of the boys,,, :rolleyes:

Like the rest of you on this forum, My interests fall into long range shooting,

Mostly with my 6mmppc and as ray has said a lot of time and huge amounts of money are spent on my rifles and all the gear that go,s into making these shots possible :lol:

300 yard shots on a nice summer,s night on the rabbits are not that hard to do with these type of rifles!!!!!!

Even at night foxing, we have taken long range foxes,,,,

Not to be rude but as ray has said it is about knowing what you your self can or cannot do???

So go out shoot at papper at all the differant ranges you can find and up hill and down hill,,,,

Learn the ballistic data for you callibre and the load that you use?? That is if you reload???

And as martin has said learn to use your scope,,, And the data that you have aquired,,,

There are lots of lads on this forum, Who would be willing to help you out, This should also shorten the learning curve?????

P.s

Nice one ray

F2n

300 yard bunnies is not only pretentious but disrespectful to your quarry. who the hell can shoot such a small target at such a long range and be sure it will be dead? :rolleyes::lol:

I think the apposing views to the above quote have been very fairly and expertly put across without things spiralling into a non productive chest beating exercise.

Davek, not everybody is comfortable with or capable of long range vermin control and if it's not you're thing then thats OK, I just think you might have presented you're opinion in a less inflammatory manor, the folks on here are more than happy to share or discuss and there is lots to be learnt from them.

Enjoy the site it's a good place to be. ;)

dude it was my plesure to do the lamping and the calling , i'm just glad you hit your target cleanly and done a nice job even the one at 45yrds the other night, sorry mate couldn't help myself, had to bring him in close for the injustice of missing the close one's , it had to be put right.

I'd have a job to stand behind him when I am sat in the driver seat opperating the lamp :P

Thats why i miss darling!!! -- I like you close to me so i know i am in safe hands............. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Catch up soon buddy......................

Take care..............................

RAY............................................. :D;)

Archived