What are the rules regarding covering the rifle in wet weather for F class

dorg

I was just wondering what the rules are and how far you can go to cover yourself and your rifle while shooting F class , I understand you are not allowed to protect yourself against the elements while shooting but how much of a grey area is this please.

The gazebos at Blair are primarily for the protection of the electronic target monitors - the fact that shooters derive a benefit too is purely incidental.... ;)

Elsewhere, the rules may follow the Bisley Bible; see rules 210 & 211.

In general though, provided you are not attempting to construct a basha or cloche to shoot from, and provided the RO can still see what you're doing - you should be OK with transparent plastic, chamois leather or a towel etc.

Cheers

I believe you can add a clear rain cover to your rifle. Something like a piece of clear tablecloth material attached with velcro dots on the scope that covers the action port is allowable. However it must be clear to allow for chamber indicators to be visible if you use them to show a rifle is 'clear and safe' It also has to be included in the overall rifle weight i believe too. I have one that is just big enough to cover the port and an open ammo box. Last thing you want is wet cases or water in the action- it can be dangerous on firing. Ive ruined a few cases in the 7mm shehane when they were wet from rain.

That was my interpretation, if it's raining and no cease fire is called I summon the RO and explain the implications of shooting wet ammo. With water in the chamber from being on the cases I don't like the idea of being one to wear a bolt, pierce a primer or have a case head separate.

It works fine then you just have to wear wet weather clothing. Tents and shelter are a no no- at least here, not sure on any domestic rules in the UK. We will use sun shelter here in summer though as the last thing the sport needs is some person suing over getting skin cancer at the range.

Have shot using an oversized towel with a plastic backing draped over the action at Bisley with no implications

Once the range is "live" and there is a justifiable reason for having the action covered I wouldn't think there's an issue

Archived