Remington 700 or Tikka 595 for 260 ackley

Which 260 Improved are you contemplating? 30 degrees of 40 degrees? I would prefer the Remington action, however I wouldn't bother 'Improving' it. The cost of dies is a significant factor and unless you plan to own the reamer and re-barrel with the same smith and reamer, I wouldn't bother. I've some Nosler brass on its ninth firing and I don't trim a lot.

The length of round is a consideration and I've a Wyatt's Extended Box magazine fitted to one of my 260 Rems and that allows rounds of up to 3.1 inches.

There's a couple of threads on this topic on 6br that are worth a read. I'm quite happy with my std 260 Rems. If you want more velocity, 6.5 x 284 would be an option.

Regards

JCS

I'm not the best to comment as my rifle hasn't arrived yet, but i chose a factory T3, figuring that if COAL and magazine length became a problem, it's easy to make it a long action

That's a sound approach. I know of a couple of folk who have done their 260 Rems like that. Regards JCS

I'm intending to have a rifle built in the above calibre on one of the 2 mentioned actions. Was just wondering people opinions of pros and cons and which would suit best and be a better donor to start the build on. Cheers Jim

Have you looked at this one? http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Surgeon_Rifle_Custom_For-Sale_130524115403002 Regards JCS

I have a 260ai built on a Tikka M595 action by Dasherman a few years back, stunningly accurate, ask Foxshooter, he witnessed me do a 30 round fireforming group the size of a 10p coin at 100 yards.

I'm a great fan of the Tikka action (I now have 20tac, 25-06 and 260ai in the same action albeit 695 for the 25-06), not so for the remmy.

I have furball on a 595 action, and a R700 in

25-06, both nice, the Tikka will be nice as is, the R700 will need a bit more work to feel as nice, polish rails, polish bolt, new trigger, new bottom metal, they can be nice with a bit work, I like them both.....

Archived