Live stock Dispatch

Guest vim

I`m sure there some guy`s on here who have had to dispatch livestock such as pigs, sheep and cattle as well as exotic stuff?

For reason`s either for disease control, Injury or containment (escapee).

Obviously the captive bolt is used in controlled confined spaces but is there a recommended calibre/weapon for dispatch for free running livestock?

During the F+m outbreak, it was whatever was available at the time, and that ranged from rimmies up to the biggest deer calibres, shotguns using slug, whatever. My Mate went to cumbria killing, then wales, and he said they went to a welsh gunshop one day, and requisitioned every available round in the place...it was a bloodbath.

I,ve used rimfires mainly in the kennels vim, but we did have a .32 pistol, for cows, and horses, and you had to be bloody careful with that thing. :lol:

Your license should state on one of its conditions, that you can use what you have for the humane destruction of animals , which pose a threat to other animals, or humans.

Agree with PANTHER if we could get slugs. Depends on what you are trying to kill, age a big facter as bones get harder with age so in older animals skulls can be like flint, yet in younger animals even heavy bullocks a .22 will knock them over if hit in the brow(cross from ear to eye) body shots will need the big game caibres when it comes to stock bulls etc

FERN

Just a mile from me, is the largest deer abbatoir in europe, where they breed reds, and fallow for meat. The owner gets him ammo from us, and he uses a .44mag marlin for them.

I got a call just yesterday to shoot a 3/4 grown bullock that had escaped from a farm and had been living in a wood for 7 months.

It was becoming a problem as there is a road on one side of the wood and the beast had been reported on the road several times.

I shot it at 60 yards with my 25-06 using 75 grain v-max,head shot and it dropped on the spot.

Andy

I've used .32, .38, and I believe a .310 bell gun, (can't remember now, but a very effective tool), .22 rimfire, 12 bore, but a very handy tool was a .410 shotgun, using Fourlong cartridges, shot just about everything with it including horses and once a very big Lincoln Red bull. It's like anything, know where to shoot it and it will go down like a pack of cards. I must say though the biggest heap of that which promotes growth and vigour I ever used was a Taurus .32 humane killer, the trigger pull was so heavy it was possible to pull off aim from cm's away from target, not good!

I have used .22 mostly as its usually pretty close, it does an admirable and is quiet and discreet especially handy when you are in the farm yard, but also once I used a slug on a heffer at close range it was massive overkill, maybe at 60 yards it would be more suitable.

the best I have ever used is a 22rf pistol but the daft sods here wont allow me that for dispatch so I got a 357 mag and is tooooo much

every one has the bit about bla bla bla shall be used for bla bla bla and the humane killing of animal for the protection bla bla BUT THIS IS THE WORDING FOR AMMO ONLY AND DOESNT APPLY TO USING A FIREARM

if you intend to use a firearm/s for dispatch your ticket will still read the same for the ammo but under another condition it will say the bla bla bla shall be used for the humane killing of animals

what must be remembered is that the condition that relates to AMMO (only) also states for the lawfull shooting of deer,,, thats right even if you only have a 22rf on your ticket it still states for humane killing of animals for the protection and for the lawfull shooting of deer BUT like I say this relates to ammo and you cant shoot a deer with a 22rf or humanely shoot animal UNLESS you have a separate condition to do so

just like under the rifles section it will also say the 22rf the 243 the 762 etc etc shall be use for the shooting of ground game fox deer etc etc the it will say something like ......the 357mag pistol and the 762 rifle serial number bla bla bla shall be used for the humane killing of animal

just thought I would clear this up before it gets brought up and developes into a dispute :lol:

on speaking to middle moor regarding the national wording they explained to me that they are aware of many people misreading their ticket and people have been prosecuted for shooting deer with a 22rf and for killing animal with a firearm that did not have a separate condition to do so

they pleaded ignorance and explained to the court that their license said they could and it was pointed out to them that this wording is under the ammo section only that starts of .........the certificate holder may posses ,purchase or aquire expanding AMMO for the lawfull shooting of deer, the humane killing of animal etc etc and doesnt mean they can use their firearms for such use its just standard wording for ammo

I know it gets confusing sometimes so I thought I would clear this up before it becomes a problem

357 too much 22rf too little, the little 32 is just right.

Not too much bang either.

Apparently the 32 cal Luger was designed to penetrate a horses scull at 400m.

That was the high speed bottle neck round.

edi

Silent, a friend of mine holds the same worded license as me, and greater manchester police have had him out on at least 3 occasions that i know of , to shoot cattle, and one time a crazed bull, When the public is in danger from a large animal, the police dont give a toss whats on your ticket, they will use the nearest available rifleman, my friend [who is in his 60,s] is living testament to this. Not arguing by the way, just stating facts.

no probs mate as I was just stating fact also the only thing is if the police ask you to shoot then the liability lies with them(you would hope), what I was concerned at was folk going out and shooting the farmers cattle for him on a regular basis then they could get into trouble

that said when police marksman have fired a shot at humans they are guilty until proven inocent in a court so if joe blogs were to shoot cattle under the request of the police and they did not have it stated on there licence and something went wrong like a ricoche caused damage to property or injury to public, would the police stand by there request if they dont stand by their own????? and would your insurance cover it as it was not stated on your license????????

Archived