IMPORTANT Proof and changes to current procedures

Firstly I am not a rifle builder so please excuse any incorrect terms used. I am however a liveryman with the worshipful company of gunmakers and have spoken to the proofmaster in London on behalf of Neil (aka Dasherman) on this subject and confirmed this to be the case.

For those of you that build rifles that are proofed in either London or Birmingham please be aware, if you are not already, that the procedures for proof seem to have been updated in terms of measurement and compliance with CIP standards.

Essentially if you send a rifle for proof and ask for it to be proofed as a .308 for example the chamber dimensions have to conform to CIP standards. If you have chambered a rifle in .308 but with a tight neck or long throat etc and it therefore does not conform to CIP please ensure you make this clear in a note sent in with the rifle, or of course in person if you take it in.

A non standard chamber will not prohibit proofing but it must be made clear when the rifle is received by the relevant proof house or the rifle will simply fail on measurement and be returned to you.

I believe that both proof houses are using more comprehensive gauging of chambers than in the past which is how this has come about.

This post is purely for information only and put up in order to try and save the UK custom rifle building community hassle. I appreciate that the proof houses are an emotive subject for many people however please do not start a huge debate about the why's and wherefore's of the proofing system, it is what it is. Please do not direct any queries to me, I am not an expert by any means and any queries should be directed to either proof house.

All the best

Rich

Already knew, but thank you for posting Rich.

As usual with the proof house, a complete and total failure to inform the very people who give them work and pay their wages.

It is however, more lucrative to charge a gunsmith for a proof fail, then re charge him once you've told him, and reproof his gun.

[quote name="baldie" post="194864" timestamp="1399578587"

It is however, more lucrative to charge a gunsmith for a proof fail, then re charge him once you've told him, and reproof his gun.

Hence the point of my post

Cheers

R

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update

Only chambers confirming to CIP dimensions can be proofed as before i.e. standard cost and calibre /proof marks engraved on barrel.

All other non CIP cartridges and variants of CIP cartridges are marked as above with additional NON STANDARD added. If a cartridge has a tight neck, shorter throat or is a non CIP Akley Improved it is non standard. The proof cost is the same for standard and non standard cartridges.

There is however one last kick in the broccoli for the UK riflebuilder/customer. Despite engraving an essay on the barrel warning a potential purchaser that the gun will not accept standard factory ammo the proof house also insist on issuing a proof certificate for the rifle at a charge of £28.20. I've just received one and it makes no mention of the chamber being non standard.

I realise that it costs the proof house more to test non standard chambered cartridges. I supply fully prepped brass that has been checked in the chamber with each non standard gun I send to proof. It has to be loaded for that particular gun and after firing its more work for them to engrave. It would be better to be upfront about these costs and adjust the proofing cost rather than issuing a worthless piece of expensive paper.

Archived