Will 8 Twist shoot 40/50 grainers ?

Hi all , im using a 223 ackley and i recently tried some 55-SB-Kingz that shot pretty well , as its throated for 75 g - Amax i was a little surprised , i only tried 25 odd as thats how many i had left from my std 223rem days!

So might it shoot the 40/50 SBKs ? before i go out and buy any ? Id like to try them to get a nice high fps for busting maggies ! Iv had a few ricochet with the heavier vlds , and allot of the time i won't can't take shots on corvids at certain farms because of safety worries . Any thoughts ?

Hi all , im using a 223 ackley and i recently tried some 55-SB-Kingz that shot pretty well , as its throated for 75 g - Amax i was a little surprised , i only tried 25 odd as thats how many i had left from my std 223rem days!

So might it shoot the 40/50 SBKs ? before i go out and buy any ? Id like to try them to get a nice high fps for busting maggies ! Iv had a few ricochet with the heavier vlds , and allot of the time i won't can't take shots on corvids at certain farms because of safety worries . Any thoughts ?[/quote

As Gaz-worth a try,esp if you can get a few first.as you approach the usual boundaries for twists,performance is almost an individual rifle thing-some might be acceptable,even if a little less than optimal,others not;it's usually better to be going too light than too heavy.

Berger bullets web site has a nifty program for giving an indication of stability,and tolerances-a guide,and near the cut offs its down to individual " suck it and see".

Gbal

I now use 52gr amax real good bullet at 3470fps

52gr amax

Benchmark

Lapua brass

Cci br4 primer

E4F30882-077A-4223-AFE5-42F9A739D60B.jpg

400 yards :)

Gaz

Yes it will however I found if it was windy, those light bullets spinning fast do produce some occasional funny results. 100m groups were fantastic, but beyond that it wasnt as consistent as I would have liked. Would be better off with 55gr+ bullets.

Archived