Advice on a 220 swift

Hi All

Any advice greatly recieved :D

I have been offered a 220 swift, remmy 700 VS for £250. Looking through the barrel it looks clean and tidy but the outside is WELL worn, ie losing the blacking. It has a 21" barrel and is screw cut with what looks a good crown. One other thing is that this rifle for some reason doesnt have the original bolt. It cycles rounds ok but has different numbers to the rifle. What are your veiws on this please, do I or dont I ?? ;):o:(

Regards, Andy

How desperate are you to buy.

My brother in law has a Ruger no1 in 220 swift and has mentioned he will sell it when his ticket ends. Not sure when that is but I could find out. Sounds like his would be a better buy than this one?

Odd bolt isnt so much a problem so long as the barrel has been headspaced to fit it - do you have any history of this being done - if its a factory barrel I wonder if it has been checked???

The rifle is worth that for the action alone (so long as it isnt battered), the VS stock - that should be a HS precision so your on the way to a rebarrelled semi custom.

If your not sure about the bolt replacements are available via Midway UK or direct from Pacific Tool although this would be a gunsmith fit.

(well someone with headspace guages, lathe and heating kit at least) ;)

Seriously, if youre not sure, steer well away ;)

Thanks for getting back to me.

Eldon, Im in no rush what so ever, I just thought it seemed to be a good deal, just a shame about the bolt.

Ronin, I was also thinking along the same lines as you about it being worth that for the action and a plus point for the HS stock ;)

With regards to the headspacing i have asked to have this checked before things proceed. Thanks for your input.

Andy

If you are buying it to rebarrel, it matters not whether the bolt headspaces to the current barrel, as the new barrel will be made to fit. Its worth £250 all day.

I agree baldie, but if the factory barrel still shoots it will give me a chance to save for a quality barrel when its shot out.

Is there any way of borrowing a 'go' and 'no go' gauge for the swift from any of you fine fellows that may be reading this??? It would save the purchace of something thats only to be used once. :lol:

Andy

Archived