I,ve got a ruger VT in .204, and its superb. The remmy lvsf is good too, as is the cz527.If you have the brass, the sako 75 was/is available in it, but i dont know about the 85.

Hi

Having shot this set up in USA some 02 years ago, I am collecting a Cooper M21 204 varminter with wood stock tomorrow from Brian Fox FOXFIREARMS

Have a search around £1150 including base all you need are rings and scope and way you go BTW I got great and bought his new Hakko scope with 12 - 60 x 56 scope £425. I should be able to see the eyeballs of these creatures when squeezing the trigger.......................

Some people prefers the new phoenix model with synthetic stock but for me this I always shoot from a bench or on top of a bonnet so I like the wood version

remember the guanrantee proof card is not 100 yards but shot at 50 yards and they dont tell you that other than the comment by craigyboy on this forum I have not come across a bad comment on this caliber

Some also commented that one will not get factory velocity 4215 fps with hand loading if that worries you

I have been invited to go prairie dog shooting in wyoming by a cousin who lives in the states next year and he is briinging 03 x 204

according to him it is hottest caliber around in the USA and it is a large market

sure plenty of fast twist 223, 22-250 AI, 220 Swist, wssm, 243 AI, but only 02 calibers you can go down to a shop wal mart to get a few box of ammo when you run out.

My cousin fired 479 round in one day last season with 89% hit rate. thats a lot of dog in one day - he shot for 05 days in a row........and the trip cost 125 dollar per day at the dog farm. Ammo cost more of course

If I can help it I will go at least once or twice a year.

Look under "small caliber news" and "Varminter.org"

All the best UK smiths are there under various alias - 204 is HOT in the states but as usual we are some to take on new technology hence not widely popular in Europe.

Dont worry about Hornady price increase by the new importor EB call Tim Hannam and pat will look after you

londonhunter

keep in touch and we will share load data when i start to develop a load for this rifle

Thanks for the info chaps,

Londonhunter nice bit of info there, most definitely compare data in the future, I had read about being unable to achieve the same fps as the factory ammo, something to do with the 'special' blend of powder used which is not available commercially yet, not to worried about that, should still be able to achieve 3800-4000fps' ish, I'm still to put in a variation but It's gonna happen.

Will keep you informed.

Cheers.

Mark.

brill rifle is the The remmy lvsf .204 i have one my self and its fast i tell thee ..no good is the stock if you want to glass and piller bed ect as it flexs to much but for normal use its sound ..

I had the cooper M21 in .204 ruger and despite a problem I had with the chamber (I contacted Cooper about this problem and they would have been happy to fix but the rifle would have had to be imported and exported to the states, a long wait, they have since changed reamer manufatuers) the rifle was fantastic, easily 3/8 of an inch at 100 yards some groups went even down to 1/4 and that was off the bipod. My rifle favored 35g berger bullets seated around 0.060 off the lands and reloader 10x, I cant remember the exact charge now but if its wanted I will look it up. I also used H BL-C2 which with the heavier 40 berger was a great combo but a little slow on velocity. Nice rifle and guranteed accuracy.

Heres a pic of mine

STP60850.jpg

(I have since had mine re-barreled)

Hi Davo,

congratulations on your choice, the calibre is trully remarkable! I have a Sako 75 Varmint in .204 Ruger and I don't know whether anyone else in this country has! I have tried to locate others, but to no avail. I had my rifle from Sako on special order but since, they are producing the 85 in .204 (if the press is to be believed, you cannot find it in their catalogue) but, more importantly: they do produce the Tikka T3 in .204 in all their models. Now, my rifle, straight out of the box with nothing other than fitting a moderator to it, shoots .5 inch 5shot groups with factory ammo and less than that with handloads. I have managed to achieve factory speeds with handloads, using N135, H335 (not to be recommended) and RL10x (which is the 'textbook' powder for the .20 cals).

I am averse to american rifles, and would buy the Tikka or Sako over any others. Even the CZ527 gets very very good reviews, but I have not seen a rifle in the flesh yet.

If you have questions on loads etc, do let us know!

best wishes,

Finman

Hi

I notice there are a few 204 ruger shooters out there.

Do you guys reload?

If so what is your favourite receipe?

Varget

Reloader 10x

H355 .......................

39 grain blitz king

32 Vmax ..................

What velocity are your guys getting on the chrono at muzzle?

londonhunter

Londonhunter

(what do you hunt in London :P:D )

The factory (Hornady) ammunition performs very very well and I have struggled to beat it. However, I managed some good loads that work in my rifle.

my favourite recipe at the moment is;

27.5gnVn135, 39gnBlitzking, Fed205M (around 3900fps)

28.3 H335, 32gnVMax, Fed205M (around 4100fps)

can't get the 40gn Vmax or the 35gn Berger to shoot

I have a lot of RL10x and hope to develop a load with it, for both the bullets above. However the N135 at the moment ROCKS!! Clean burning and very very good speeds (and spread).

Hope this helps. There are a lot of very good suggestions in the 204ruger.com website and also the rugger hunting forum (which you can get onto from the same site).

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further help,

best wishes,

Finman

Hi

I notice there are a few 204 ruger shooters out there.

Do you guys reload?

If so what is your favourite receipe?

Varget

Reloader 10x

H355 .......................

39 grain blitz king

32 Vmax ..................

What velocity are your guys getting on the chrono at muzzle?

londonhunter

• 2 weeks later...

My firearms officer will not allow 22/250 for long range vermin, quoting the homeoffice guidelines. She would allow .17 or .22 hornet only. Where do the home office place .204 in the suitable calibre list, fox or smaller vermin.

• 2 weeks later...

a 204 is a varmint rifle for foxs /small boar,rabbits ect thats what the NGO told me ..

Archived