ITRS rail trg

moc1

i brought a itrs rail for my trg on a whim a while ago and haven't a clue on how to mount it. brought it second hand and it just came in a box. ive googled it and there seems to be two mounting positions, although the trg bipod will get in the way if its forward mounted. also my nightforce sits with about 5 mm clearance of the barrel so it wont fit anyway without swapping the mounts for higher ones which will make the cheek spacer setup all out. also i think it looks better mounted low , it all seems a bit of hassle, might just sell it.

has anyone else got one of these mounted? i'll post some pics up tomorrow

cheers.

I'd be very surprised if the bipod won't work with the itrs, that'd be really daft of Sako to have something that stops the über expensive bipod from fitting. If you go on the Sako website, there is a pic of the TRG wearing both the itrs and bipod.

http://www.sako.fi/defencele_accessories.php

Bottom pic

Pete

The Sako ITRS is designed to be fitted to the models with the extended chassis rail and as such the Sako bipod will fit it. I'm not sure about the normal length chassis as mine is the former.

The ITRS fits to the aluminium chassis with two screws. To do this you remove the stock fore-end (instructions for this are supplied with the link provided by Pete above). Now slide the ITRS over the barrel and in between the barrel and chassis until the two screw hole line up then simply screw from under the chassis into the ITRS body. If you had bought one of the Jordanian surplus rifles this rail would have been bonded with something like Loctite so you may want to consider using a small amount. Then refit the stock for-end.

Your Nightforce should clear it provided you don't use the sun shade.

HTH

Mark

The Sako ITRS is designed to be fitted to the models with the extended chassis rail and as such the Sako bipod will fit it. I'm not sure about the normal length chassis as mine is the former.

The ITRS fits to the aluminium chassis with two screws. To do this you remove the stock fore-end (instructions for this are supplied with the link provided by Pete above). Now slide the ITRS over the barrel and in between the barrel and chassis until the two screw hole line up then simply screw from under the chassis into the ITRS body. If you had bought one of the Jordanian surplus rifles this rail would have been bonded with something like Loctite so you may want to consider using a small amount. Then refit the stock for-end.

Your Nightforce should clear it provided you don't use the sun shade.

HTH

Mark

There are two sizes of itrs rails. One has a shorter top section than sides, which I believe is the one with two screws as pointed out by Mark, the Jordanian spec ones have a longer top section than sides, and fits with three screws, and about a gallon of 'extra hard grade' loctite.

You'll need to either loosen off the chassis or wedge open the gap a bit between barrel/chassis too as there isn't quite enough room to slide it down due to the lug getting in the way.

If you are loosening off the chassis, make sure to remove the trigger pack first, and REMOVE THE BOLT before refitting, unless you fancy giving gmk five hundred odd quid for a new trigger pack.

And for those of y'all interested, I'm on the case of extended mag releases getting sent here. Pm me if you'd like to add yourself to the list. If it's viable, I'll be getting an order in next month.

Pete

To add.

Just received a reply from KRG's uk importer ref the mag release.

Hi,

I don't keep the TRG-22 catch extender in stock unfortunately, although I could add some to the next delivery - but that will be a few months away. Price would be around the £100 mark once shipped, plus duties and import VAT, etc.

Kind regards,

Jon Francis

CPG Design

www.cpgdesign.co.uk

So, I'm going to look into getting some made over here. I'll post pics of prototypes as they come in.

Pete

£100! Its listed as $58 (£47) on there website I think I better just wait till I find someone going to america and get it that way thanks for finding out for me tho much appreciated.

Are there two different sized rails ie one size for a 22 and a different one for a 42?

And not sure if this applies or not but there are some rifles that have barrels with a rail on the end to mount iron sights I think its the military version and some that dont is it possable you have the civie version and that verson wont accept the rail? I have posted on the sako forum to see if anyone there knows as im interested to find out my self

The iron sights fit the end of the barrel, that's why the slot is cut at the top to align them.

The 22 has a 20mm shorter action than the 42 so not sure on rail length (for receiver)

The Jordanian spec 22's have a piccatinny rail fitted on the action, it's sat quite forward, and leaves a 20mm or so 'gap' at the back, but I'm informed that is to allow fitting of the back up rear iron sights. Which would seem perfectly feasible as all the factory sighting systems are for fitting to the standard 17(?)mm dovetails machined into the action. It's also hanging off the front by 20mm or so, maybe it is the same rail as a 42, but, being a J spec, it's been affixed with a gallon of super strength loctite as well as screws, and won't come off to find out.

I wasn't finding out about the mag release just for you buddy, you ain't that special ;)

I figured there's a few of us who'd like them. I'm speaking to the local engineering shop next week to see what they can do for us.

Watch this space.....

Well, I'll start a new thread once past the prototype stage

Pete

Another thing of note is that, from information gleaned from other TRG owners and retailer buddy of mine, is that the Jordanian spec TRGs have the newer, tuned trigger. From my own experience, because I have one of those rifles, my TRG trigger is about as sweet as it can get.

Another thing of note is that, from information gleaned from other TRG owners and retailer buddy of mine, is that the Jordanian spec TRGs have the newer, tuned trigger. From my own experience, because I have one of those rifles, my TRG trigger is about as sweet as it can get.

How do you find out if you have the jordanian one are there any other give away signs serial number ect

Everything is glued into place.

The spec of mine,

Tan folding stock, fitted with itrs rail (top section longer than sides and well glued in place), extended chassis, flash hider (also well glued on)

Phosphated finish barrel/action/bolt.

Fitted with factory piccatinny rail. (Well glued on)

26" barrel. (Probably well glued in too)

Pete

Not the same as mine at all no crazy glue anywhere the trigger was able to be set light tho and it breaks like glass

If yours is blued, it's not a J spec.

I hope you are aware of the problems in going too light with the trigger adjustment, if not, do a bit of googling, well reported for knackering the mech if too low. I hope that didn't sound 'naggy'', I just don't want you to have to stump up the £500+ for a new one :/

Pete

thanks for the advice, as usual very informative! looked at the link on the sako website and your right it shows it mounted forward with the trg bipod, just wondered if anyone knew the name of the part that allows this and where i could get one. then i could mount it and still use the mounts i have just ditch the sunshade. the other option is just swap to a higher mount?

the itrs rail ive got has the three screws and the longer top bit. it has what looks to be old glue of some sort on it. shame there is only one screw. have to find some replacements. or just put it on the side to collect dust will most likely be the outcome ;)

Screws are normal m6 countersink slotted. I'd try for some torx head if I were you, and if you decide to use loctite, use 243, which doesn't need high heat to remove. Sounds like yours was on a J spec. But, have you got the extended chassis ? Does it protude 45mm or so past the forend ? If not, it may not fit. You'll need to pull the forend off to check if not, it's two 5mm Allen head iirc

Pete

hi pete, sorry for the late reply. im not sure if mine is the extended or not, ive posted up a couple of pics, if it is and i can mount it forward as shown in the previous pics, what would that part that sits under neath the itrs rail called and would you know how i could get one. cheers paul.

ive got the pics saved on my comp, not sure how to paste/upload them on here?

Archived