Opinions on Meopta 4-16x44

I seek the forums experience.

I am considering purchasing the above scope, anybody got any opinions on it?

I already have a 7x50 meopta and like it. Only downside is no retro fit target turrets available.

An opportunity has come up to sell it and maybe replaced with the above.

Whats a good price for the 4-16x44 tactic model mildot ret?

Thanks in advance guys.

I seek the forums experience.

I am considering purchasing the above scope, anybody got any opinions on it?

I already have a 7x50 meopta and like it. Only downside is no retro fit target turrets available.

An opportunity has come up to sell it and maybe replaced with the above.

Whats a good price for the 4-16x44 tactic model mildot ret?

Thanks in advance guys.

Great scope for the money, ive got 3 meoptas inc the Tactical, they are very clear and bright and the mechanics are crisp.

Tulkyuk sorry your out of luck, mentioned the idea to my uncle and he snapped my hand off.

I'll bear you in mind and give you first chance if he changes his mind.

Whats a good price for the 4-16 x44 model?

Guest Baldrick

Have three Meoptas myself, and I think they're superb. I nearly bought the 4-16x44, but decided on a 3-12x56 Meostar instead (prefer the No 4 reticule).

I bought my last one from Eurooptics.com in the USA - they're worth a look.

eldon,

Meopta will lend me a 4-16x44 Tactic (not sure if illuminated until I collect it) for a mil comp. It will be on a 338 Lapua and it will be dragged etc so it will get a good hammering.

If you can wait until the end of next month I will let you know if it survives - I fully expect it to as I have already used them on 338 Lapua before without problems.

David.

At a very drunken evening last year (as DS1 will testify) the owners of Meopta discussed scope, turret and reticule design at length.

They are good guys and their products are excellent - would prefer higher mag though thats my one and only gripe with them.

Hi Ronin,

Agreed - I wish Meopta would make something with a lot more mag, FFP and 34mm tube. They are somewhat traditional (expressions like banging your head against a brick wall come to mind).

David.

As I understand it Meopta make the Conquest range for Ziess, they would not allow a pile of poo to bear their name for sure.

I have never heard a bad comment about Meopta although I have never used one myself.

A

Cheers Ds1, a bit of a review would be good.

Had a look at one the other day in the flesh and it was very clear and I was impressed but... ;)

I am not sure I like the markings of the turrets? Instead of 4 marks making 1 MOA as normal it was marked up in clicks.

So say you wanted 2.5MOA you had to divide by 0.25 to get 10 clicks. No big deal but not ideal.

Click values stated as 0.7cm at 100m or 1/4 at 100yds. So the first big mark is at the 5 th click and marked up as number 5. The turret rotation lines, horizontal ones in a verticle format, have no number markings so you would have to count the lines to ensure you weren't 1 rotation up or down from zero. You only get 25 clicks per rotation i.e. just over 6 MOA.

Am I being picky? just my other scopes work in MOA.

Hi eldon,

I picked the 4-16x44 Tactic up today.

Clicks - this one has 6 lines / clicks from No1 - No2 etc. So 1/6 moa clicks (4mm). 10 moa per turret rev (I did not count how many revs of the turret yet).

SFP with mil diamond reticule - accurate at 16x.

I will let you know how it gets on. Ill admit from the start I`m biased - I prefer FFP, higher mag, better zoom ratio, more elevation than will be in it, 34 - 35mm tube, big turrets and a reticle and turret scale in the same language.

What I do expect to be perfect from Meopta is tracking and very good optics.

David.

Cheers Dave.

The click increment seem's weird do you think?

Why not 1/4 clicks arranged in 4's or something else like 1cm clicks?

Agreed eldon, a choice of 1/4 moa and 1/2 cm or 1cm adjustments would make a few people happy, so why not use 1/6 moa and 4mm adj and make no one happy. Swarovski have done the same thing also.

Don`t think Meopta can claim smaller adjustments as it is a target scope - 16x is not cutting it at 1k yard BR.

Got the bugger mounted today anyway so I will see how it zero`s in the week.

david.

• 2 weeks later...

Having got the scope mounted and fired a few shots with it heres some early thoughts.

1. Not enough elevation - <50moa total. Half of which gets wasted zeoring

2. I compared it to a new model - new one has .5cm clicks @100m, mine has .4cm clicks - pain in the backside.

3. Turrets not positive - prefer Leupold, S&B, Nightforce turrets.

4. Parallax focus, spot on

5. Very nice optics a bit let down by lack of elevation and crap turrets. The newer ones with .5cm clicks (and 5 lines, not six between numbers) are a step forward.

6. Tracking - as far as I can tell spot on, I put on 40cm of elevation at 100m fired a couple of shots, 40cm down, another shot - error was less than 3mm over 40cm and due to me no doubt. I did not test windage.

More to come after I`ve done a comp or two with it.

David.

Archived