Slugs/boolits from casts...

dRb

I make 320gr .432" wing for the Marlin. Once you get into the flow, I can cast about three kg's worth in a few hours.

If your casting for bp, use pure lead.

If not, you need to make 'hard cast' then let them weather for a few weeks as they soften a little

What you planning on casting Ross ?

I make 320gr .432" wing for the Marlin. Once you get into the flow, I can cast about three kg's worth in a few hours.

If your casting for bp, use pure lead.

If not, you need to make 'hard cast' then let them weather for a few weeks as they soften a little

What you planning on casting Ross ?

Slugs for my SG.

Got then on ticket etc, so all above board, just that they're expensive and harder to find than shot, so turning shot into slugs seems to secure supply of them.

Hopefully getting a lever gun soonish too...

Ahh. Pure lead for slug.

Marlin for sale if interested

What Marlin have you got for sale?

Slugs for my SG.

Got then on ticket etc, so all above board, just that they're expensive and harder to find than shot, so turning shot into slugs seems to secure supply of them.

I was thinking of doing the same after shooting slug at the weekend £14 for 25 and shot like crap also have so much lead up my barrel now to clean out as they were solids I reckon the finned type are better used to get on quite well with Remington reduced recoil slugs from memmory

Ahh. Pure lead for slug.

Marlin for sale if interested

What Marlin have you got for sale?

Slugs for my SG.

I was thinking of doing the same after shooting slug at the weekend £14 for 25 and shot like crap also have so much lead up my barrel now to clean out as they were solids I reckon the finned type are better used to get on quite well with Remington reduced recoil slugs from memory, also no one near me has any slug in stock.

I have cast my own bullets for the .44M for quite some years. I always do a large pre-melt of pure lead where I then alloy it with tin and antimony for a specific hardness. This melt is done in the large waste oil smelter. I cast into ingots for the small furnace and come casting day, I will spend the whole day bullet casting. Sizing and sorting will happen several days later but that gives me enough for a years shooting and I shoot the .44M every week, sometimes going through 500 rounds in a day. The best advice I can give is to be careful with your lead source, start of with pure lead and alloy to your own needs. Do not use suspect or known contaminated lead and use sawdust as a flux, its cheaper than beeswax and works a treat. Also, dont try and 'overharden' the lead as its a waste of expensive antimony.

dRb

For shotgun slug any old scrap lead you can find, lead flashing, range scrap etc. you just need to smelt it all down and flux (outside using bees wax'll do) then scrape off the dross and cast small ingots. Then use this cleaned up 'lead' to make your slugs. You're not looking at bullet type of application or accuracy (e.g. PSG comps) just cast a ball and the slug does not even contact the barrel. If you are looking for accurate SG slug application then do not bother to cast but buy the slug from this bunch: http://www.buckandslug.co.uk

As others have pointed out, if you are casting bullets that will contact rifling etc. then attention to the actual mix becomes more important, as does what type of firearm, ML, BPCR, pistol smokeless, rifle smokeless etc.

I only cast now for BPCR and use commercially pure lead and tin smelted into 1 pound ingots of my 'mix'. These bullets, 510g 'Money' design, are accurate out to any distance the cartridge will usefully go.

The single most useful site related to casting bullets is ''cast boolit' thus: http://castboolits.gunloads.com If its not on there you don't need it :)

Brgds Terry

I cast bullets from 5mm to 72 caliber from 100 or better different molds. I shoot game and target both . I used to shoot BR Matches put on by the Cast Bullet Assn in the US. Now it's hunting and target. I used to specialize in experimentation with high velocity cast bullet shooting from "small bores" meaning .224" to 30 caliber guns. I cast quite a bit of handgun bullets in 32 to 457 as well as muzzle loading rifles and revolvers: pretty much for everything I shoot.

Shotgun slugs san be tedious to cast because of the hollow base plug that needs to be removed and replaced with each filling in most Lyman-style molds, but the accuracy can be very good and you can dink around with the hardness to get the results you want down range. Casting HP rifle bullets is much the same.~Andrew

Archived