Recommend a reloading manual and equipment

tikkat3tac

Hi all

I have never reloaded before and should be setting up soon.

Seems to be a ton of manuals out there and a lot of kits being offered.

What would you recommend as my first manual?

Also looking at the Lee anniversary kit, any thing bad about it or are there better setups.

Don't want to spend a fortune but don't want to waste money on junk either.

Thanks for the help

ABC of reloading, very comprehensive.

As for kit it would be good to know what you are reloading for as the degree of accuracy desired will determine kit recommendations.

Thanks Gandy

I will check out that manual.

Planning on reloading a TIKKA in. 223 1:8 and a 6.5x55 in 1:8

Both rifles will be used for range shooting and pushing the distance on target.

The 6.5 will be used for deer and the. 223 as a varmint rifle.

The 6.5 is more my focus for reloading though.

Thanks

I use Forster dies and think thy they are fantastic value for money when compared against redding etc.

I like a robs rock chucker press which seem to be well recommended.

Scales etc. seem much of a muchness so long as you don't go for cheapo digital ones.

Sure some others will be along with other opinions.

One bit of kit I wouldn't be without is a charge master. But that's just because in lazy and I think it speeds things up dramatically.

Start with the 6.5 x 55 and when you are happy with that, move on to the .223 would be my recommendation. I like the graphical approach in the Hornady and Nosler manuals to displaying the reloading data. One important thing is to document what you do as you do it. I document my brass prep and I document my reloading.

Have fun.

JCS

Thanks jcs

I will check out those manuals too.

The 6.5 will definitely be the one I learn first.

Been looking at the Lyman kits tonight and they seem good value but I am going to keep researching.

I looked for ages at different setups etc, and eventually went for the Lee Breechlock Challanger Kit (£109 I think from Optics Warehouse), and the Lee Delux Die Set (one for .308, one for 22-250).

Since then I've added a reloading tray (get one!), and some ammunition boxes.

I went with the Lee for the obvious reason that it is CHEAP, on the basis that I wanted to get going without commiting too much ££ up front on equipment.

From the fact that there aren't many second hand Lee kits on the market, I also thought that there was a chance that it was a lot better than the price point suggests...

It is :)

I work in manufacturing, and you get a feel for how much things cost to make, and what sort of value tgey represent. Getting the press, scales, hand primer, powder thrower, primer pocket cleaner, case neck deburring tool, powder funnel, and a tube'o'lube for just over £100 makes the other brands on the market look like they have a very different profit margin structure to say the least!

Rcbs kit is a good start up kit for the money,better than the lee kit and you can always pick up the rest of the bits and pieces you need separately.and the hornady 9th edition of reloading handbook is a good book to buy mate...rem

Archived