new scope wanted- but which one???

JDBenelliM1

I'm selling my Schmidt bender 8 x 56 Klassik to get a variable power scope for medium range work (out to 500y). I would like to know peoples thoughts on mag choices and illuminated rets. I like the look of the Sightron 6-24 x 50 LRIRMOA, the only thing stopping me is the 8-32 but it has no illumination. Also looked at second hand NXS /IOR as they have illuminated rets on 8-32 but are more expensive even SH.

8-32 also has 56mm objective. Will this make much difference to light gathering?

Primary use is foxing usually between 80 - 200y but once I have higher mag i'll be stretching this and target shooting to 500y. My biggest dilemma is if I buy 6-24 will I end up wishing I had the x32? I think the illuminated ret will be handy as I can struggle to see the ret on my Schmidt when the lights very low.

Any opinions on this would be great as Ive not had a decent variable before.

Oh yeah and FFP vs SFP!!!

Cheers

John

Hi john

Would think 6x24 would be fine second hand nightforce folks seem to like sightron but I have never owned one ,don't rule out bushnell elites good scopes for the money ,for foxing I don't go past 8 power very often i also struggle at the twilight with seeing reticle that's why I went illuminated I own a nsx5.5x20x50 np2dd and an happy with it 90% of the time the only time It struggles compared to European scope is a last light but that's the compromise they are great daytime/lamping scope with good reticles

Regards lee

If you have an 8-32 at 500 yards you would be unlikely to wish you had an 8-24,but there is not a huge difference,but I would go for the 32,as I don't need illumination,and just wind down mag for 200y foxes.You need to consider reticule for the two different uses-easily seen for fox at night,fine enough for precision at targets-but there are reasonable compromise ones in NF and Sightron.If illuminated is critical,you won' find the Nightforce lacking much,but they are more expensive.56 will allow more light,but only if the innards are good-as in the scopes mentioned. FFP has no advantage at all for long range targets,and hard to see it's purpose in a 50-200 night fox scope either.Side focus can be very handy.

Gbal

thanks for your thoughts. Another scope in the mix is a S/H zeiss victory. illuminated 6-24 x 56. Its a hard job when no one I know has a decent scope!

think i'm going to have to go for a ride out somewhere that has a few different makes in stock. Any one know of such a place in the north west?!?

all the scopes you mention (Zeiss,NF,SightronS111) -I might add Leupold-will be optically good,and well made-you might not see that much difference between most scopes with a casual look through in a shop,in broad daylight-but absolutely try them before you buy them,especially if buying new,but be very sure if you do buy new-these things are expensive! Given the quality,as above,then the personal comes into it-you have to like the reticule for your purposes,and it has to have the features you want (illumination eg).Used scopes can bring an expensive first choice into reach.It's a nuisance if turret/reticule are not using the same units(moa/moa ,mil/mil). Good scopes clicks are more reassuring and return to zero-as well as glass,that is what you pay for. You will be compromising,because of mixed use-cant see a fine reticule 32x for night fox,but good options for distance targets-if small (less than say moa). I shot two scopes(with rifles attached yesterday,moderate light out to 600+y. The NF was clearest-very-at 30x,but the ultra fine reticule was not ideal-though precise indeed-though it is for much longer target shooting.The mil dot Leupold on 25x was great,andeasy to locate on bigger targets,but despite shooting a .25 group at 100,the moderate reticule just suggested something finer wold help-but really,with .25 groups does it matter (unless in BR competition).Point is hardly anything is perfect all the time,(that NF is not a twilight stalker!),but quality scopes are pretty good for most things most of the time.Plenty choice,but not too much-your list fine. Of course,there are differences in preference-much of it to do with useage-tactical shooters need fast adjust,easy reticule but not BR precision (sorry tacs-I mean sub.25 moa,and stalkers needs differ again-clarity rather than very long range,and so on).

If you haven't got to grips with the basics wind at distance,that is the priority-the very best glass doesn't affect drift at al,so you can practice with almost any scope meanwhile.Good shooting.

Gbal

thanks for the insight gbal and the offer woodlander Ive bought a S/H Zeiss Diavari Victory 6-24x56 and am blown away by the clarity at x24! just had a look through it tonight (not mounted on a rifle yet) and its bright. I'm a spark by trade and as i'm touching 30 I usually work in mm so mm adjustments should be easy to get used to.

Very tough choosing though, after a bit of research couldn't find a bad thing about the Zeiss, as it will be used for lamping and some target work to 500y it should be good. Ill let you know how I come on.

When I get some more cash together I'll splash out on a higher mag for the TRG (thinking S/H nighforce 10 - 42x as mainly taget and a few long range crows!). I think the zeiss ret is also brilliant as its fine but easy to see and illumination is very subtle on lowest setting and not too bright flat out. May be feeling different when Ive used it for a while but only time will tell!

John,excellent choice.

As is a 12-42 NF for long range vermin/target-popular with BR shooters,which says a lot re precision etc.Used ones are not too expensive,in this performance bracket.And there is a fair choice of reticules- including fine,so you should find one that suits you.

Good shooting!

Gbal

thanks for the insight gbal and the offer woodlander Ive bought a S/H Zeiss Diavari Victory 6-24x56 and am blown away by the clarity at x24! just had a look through it tonight (not mounted on a rifle yet) and its bright. I'm a spark by trade and as i'm touching 30 I usually work in mm so mm adjustments should be easy to get used to.

Very tough choosing though, after a bit of research couldn't find a bad thing about the Zeiss, as it will be used for lamping and some target work to 500y it should be good. Ill let you know how I come on.

When I get some more cash together I'll splash out on a higher mag for the TRG (thinking S/H nighforce 10 - 42x as mainly taget and a few long range crows!). I think the zeiss ret is also brilliant as its fine but easy to see and illumination is very subtle on lowest setting and not too bright flat out. May be feeling different when Ive used it for a while but only time will tell!

I'm glad you like it. It served me well for many years...especially the 63 ret. I had to force myself to let it go.

Enjoy

ATB

Archived