• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess it is a case of gallons to the mile in many peoples eyes but she's had 87 rounds through her now and i'm guessing a round count of 400 - 500 max but that's at least five years worth of foxes for me and that's cheap foxing !

OSOK

I guess it is a case of gallons to the mile in many peoples eyes but she's had 87 rounds through her now and i'm guessing a round count of 400 - 500 max but that's at least five years worth of foxes for me and that's cheap foxing !

OSOK

I agree with you ethos when it comes to use. As long as load development doesn't eat the barrel life.

Is brass easy to form? Details of the rifle and barrel would be interesting. Especially what twist to stop blow ups.

I expected a trade off with accuracy when i started with this but to my suprise it shot straight from the off so my load development used up very little barrel life . The 270 wsm brass is simple to size down but my advice would be to do it in two stages not as i did using just one as it tends to slightly push out the body / shoulder junction .

I ran with a 1-13 twist which was the slowest 6mm barrel that i could get at the time even though i was advised not to go over 4,200 ft/sec but it works fine .

The rifle is a PRS Bat single shot in an A5 stock with a 28 inch Krieger .

The biggest problem i have is that i run several calibers from this set up , 6.5x284mm , 6x284mm , 6mm WSM , 6.5mm WSM & 7/270 WSM and the one you want is never ready to go hence using the 220 Swift for most foxes .

There are a couple of photo's of the load development on the Fastest 22 thread that's on here somewhere but i'll try to post a picture of the round and rifle over the next few days .

OSOK

That's me , Why would you go the easy route when there's a harder one ?

Picture of rounds as promised , Left to Right ; 220 Swift , 22 WSM , 6mm WSM , 22-243 Middlestead & 6.5 x 47 Lapua .

DSC00720_zps2a5c14c5.jpg

A5StockModifications1_zps39470569.jpg

Rifle is setup with a 6.5mm WSM barrel / Scope .

I did think at first of running with the 22 WSM which would have been even harder on barrels if that's possible but a 55g in a 6mm would be more efficient and it had the edge on BC .

Someone once described it as a Dustbin with a bullet on top !

OSOK

I was going to reply to a guy's post i saw earlier in the day but it's vanished :huh:

Mods removed as I posted from our advertisers account and we're not set up as advertisers yet! My mistake.

I made the comment about how the 22WSM was so mad looking it made the middlestead look conventional! We've been toying with the idea of a crazy fast 22 for ages having already built a .22-250AI. Bruce Potts' article on the .22-284" was interesting! Going back to the original post regarding fast 6s, I must agree with the previous posts regarding heavier bullets being better for long range. I've done loads of number crunching and there's no getting away from how good the 6mm 105s fly. We've got them doing 3273fps from a 243AI with a long barrel and it's stupidly accurate very forgiving in the wind. Then again, I've always liked the 75grn A-max and getting them screaming along would be satisfying! It all depends what you want to do with it.

My first thought was to be able to push the 55g bullet at 4,500 ft/sec and based upon a 22 cal but when looking into the bullets and finding a 6mm 55g with a higher BC ( never really understood that ) it seemed to be a much better option and getting the case from 270 to 22 was more involved .

Having got a few long range options this was only ever about velocity at with a lighter bullet out to 400 - 500 yards .

After getting the 22-243 Middlestead all those years and loving everything that it brings to the table i did in the early years want to go up again to the 22-284mm to the point of getting dies etc .

22-243amp22-284mmDies_zpse4d7f6c1.jpg

I have had so much fun with the Middlestead that i didn't want to get rid and there's nothing between it and my 6x284mm pushing the 115g D-Tac's at 3,300 ft/sec and not that much from my 6.5mm WSM and 139g er's .

70 moa to 1,840 yards with a 22 cal , what more would you want .

OSOK

Hi OSOK,

I lusted after a 22 Middlestead for most of my formative years(B-BC..Before Ballistic Coefficients). The 243 though helped,in reality probably more versatile.Then along came the lighter 6mm bullets,and it seemed the 243 could be essentially a long range varminter,with just 58 g bullets,and no other changes.Then it could be a serious long range cartridge with the heavies(115g)-though that seems to mean a faster twist (= another rifle,really).

In your experience,have you seen the DTACs tried in a 1 in 10 243?Shouldn't work,but stranger things have happened.

I'd go along with something in the order of 500y for the light bullets/hyper velocity-on it's own,light bullet weight just can't carry the advantage much further,devastating though it is before the speed is shed.

Bearing in mind say Brian Litz's analyses-Max accurate range (ie hits) is way way less than the velocities tempt one into thinking might be expected(actually 248 yards for a 3" from 6mm 80g @3000fps)-let alone the errors that come in fairly seriously from misreading wind vagaries way out there.Until we get the wind equivalent of the laser ranger,hits are going to have-in Landis' 1947 summary of optimistic claims-an 'accidental' component-possible,yes,probable,perhaps-95%...not even nearly 70 years later.

I'm not at all saying that such wildcatting should go into the 'dustbin'(even the 22/270WSM one),just that we need to be aware that pure velocity isn't the only factor,as you say-attractive though it can be,to barrel users as well as barrel sellers.

Gbal

The amount of long range shooting I have done over the years with .22c/f mainly now

.22b/r using a 75 g Amax out on balloons at 1500 yds and further , I was told years ago velocity is not always needed , just good data and been able to shoot

OSOK has done a lot of target and field shooting with a vast knowledge and experience at long range in small fast calibers . 22 c/f 's and large calibers ,I shot with him out to 2.4 k with his 7mm and a .338LM . so going out and shooting long range gives you a lot of knowledge , not reading books , l believe in finding out from people who have done long range and picking there brains for there knowledge and results is a must in my experience, that's why have done a lot with .22 b/r and am happy to share my info , so just research your caliber and ask the right people who go out and shoot that caliber . might help

So don't chase what is not worth chasing :-) unless you have a good bank ;-)

fast is fast dead is dead the animal won't know how fast the bullet is going .

That's if you want the fastest.22c/f for field use

Sean if the Swift is working don't fix it

And OSOK experience in 6 mm might be of interest to you from his experience and knowledge

• 1 month later...

Well i have finally made my mind up and bought a 6mm Crusader reamer and dies from Ellwood on here. I was going to go with the 6 AI But the fact that Ian had formed cases,dies and reamer swung it for me. By all accounts the Crusader has the same internal capacity as the ackley.All i need to do now is make my mind up what bullets to shoot. I was leaning towards fast and flat but know think i will stick to an 8 twist tube with 105 a max. Hopefully i should be able to get around 3300 with the 105's I also have some 87gr v max if they don't work out. Looking forward to getting it up and running hopefully ready for the harvest.

Regards Sean

Hi Sean, a great cartridge :-)

Tony passed the message on so pm me any questions.

My AI with an 8 twist turns 87Vmax and 105 Amax inside out :-( if drive them too hard.

Reloader 17 is a good choice with both 87-105

With 105's H4831sc and N165 work ok.

Best powder by far with 115 DTAC is Reloader 25 it didn't work so well with the 105's though

Hi Sean, a great cartridge :-)

Tony passed the message on so pm me any questions.

My AI with an 8 twist turns 87Vmax and 105 Amax inside out :-( if drive them too hard.

Reloader 17 is a good choice with both 87-105

With 105's H4831sc and N165 work ok.

Best powder by far with 115 DTAC is Reloader 25 it didn't work so well with the 105's though

Hi Dave, Got plenty of RL17 and 25 Didn't really want to go with the 115gr as Think i will get pass throughs with them. What velocities did you get the 105's before you turned them in side out? If i can't get the velocity i want out of them i may go with a 10 twist and shoot 87,s

Thanks Sean

Wonder how long it will be before someone does a 6mm-.26 Nosler

Hmmm,shouldn't be too long-the first parent 260 Noslers will be approaching 500 rounds,,and needing a rebarrel.... :-)

Gbal

Hmmm,shouldn't be too long-the first parent 260 Noslers will be approaching 500 rounds,,and needing a rebarrel.... :-)

Gbal

Oooohh .... you are naughty! :) :) :) (..... and likely correct, too!)

Archived